Starter Battery Discharging

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Starter Battery Discharging

Interesting > When you get your new ECU for the remote start can you check to see if the part # on it is 08190-42830 , just wondering if this part may have been updated . Too many simple functions on this car need the Intilligent tester at the dealer to enable or change , previous Camry's were easy to reconfigure by the owner without having to bother the service dept and a mechanic . This is a step backward imho.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast

The remote start is apparently something Toyota is adding to cars shipped to the northern climates. In total they added about $1000 of extras to the car over what was quoted when I ordered it, none of which are useful. I’m not sure how it will work with the new computer but I will try to find out as when I pick up the car tonight. If possible I would like to just have remote start disabled, as I’ll never use it. Car warms up quickly and has heated seats. Remote start is a gimmick to pull another $500 from the customer, but it is apparently costing Toyota much more than that if they have to replace a bunch of computers.

Keith

Old 04-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by obrienklm
The remote start is apparently something Toyota is adding to cars shipped to the northern climates. ...
More likely a specific dealer padding their profit margin. I really don't think Toyota is jamming remote start down anyone's throat. Personally (and I don't live in a far northern climate) I think remote start sort of defeats a good part of what the TCH does in terms of improving gas mileage and reduced emissions. I might have a different opinion if I lived in Minnesota but then again I wouldn't even purchase of TCH if I lived somewhere I REALLY needed remote start.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast

I agree on all points... Remote start is contrary to the whole concept of the TCH. Beyond that, it is just not needed, especially with heated seats. I’ve lived in Minnesota all my life and have never considered or wanted remote start. It wastes gas, is dangerous to use in a garage because of the CO emissions, and I think it is actually illegal in some cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul) to leave a car idling and unoccupied. I suspect it costs Toyota about $1 to add the switch and they charge about $500 as a “no option”, option.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Malcontent

I always thought remote start was for VIPs afraid of carbombs.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
I always thought remote start was for VIPs afraid of carbombs.
Well that doesn't save them if the bomb is rigged to the door.

Seriously, I hope the new ECU fixes the problem! And I live in NY and have never desired a remote start either (and I get up at 5:30 AM to go to the gym).