GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Toyota Motor Corporation > Toyota Camry Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarageUsed Cars Add a Tank

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: non-NAV '08 "The Gray Lady"
Default Are struts covered under the warranty?

Firestone loves to tell you everything wrong with your car and then offer to fix it for an unbelievable fee. Yesterday, they told me the four struts were leaking (30,000 miles). Is this something that Toyota will cover/replace or is it considered a normal wear item?
Thanks!

For answers to (almost) every question... **Toyota Camry Hybrid New Owner's F.A.Q. **
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Hybrids: Camry
Default Re: Are struts covered under the warranty?

I doubt they are leaking...

Get another opinion before you replace them. Either way, I doubt that Toyota would normally fix them as it is considered a "wear" item but with all the bad press they have had lately, they might surprise you and fix them.

Usually, tires, shocks, struts and the like are not covered because of the abuse people can put them thru.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm not a rube, so I'm well at arms against their loss leader (cheap oil with exorbitant suggested repairs) marketing strategy. If you want a good laugh...they're suggesting the four struts be replaced for ONLY $1200!
Actually, I like going there, since, I let them find stuff to be repaired and then I bring it to my friendly local and very trustworthy mechanic for a second opinion.
I understand struts go, so I am not very concerned. What is a reasonable life span for them?
Thanks!

For answers to (almost) every question... **Toyota Camry Hybrid New Owner's F.A.Q. **
Old 05-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Most struts will last 100,000 miles or more unless you are driving on washboard gravel or dirt roads (or live in Michigan....).
Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM

So, leaking is (A) minor, and occurs naturally after a few years (B) indicative of an imminent failure (C) not worth paying attention to

Old 05-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Hybrids: TCH

FWIW, my 07 TCH had leaking struts when I traded it in at just under 60,000 miles last July. I replaced it with an 09 TCH, and the ride was... ahem..."like new"...much smoother.

EDIT: The leaking struts were obvious... at the top of the strut, in the engine compartment.

Last edited by jbollt; 05-02-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 PM

If the struts are leaking, they should be replaced. I have had relatives that were told that their struts were bad at some chain stores that came to me to check and they were fine. I have had to replace them sooner than 60,000 miles but typically struts last a little longer.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 07 Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
Firestone loves to tell you everything wrong with your car and then offer to fix it for an unbelievable fee. Yesterday, they told me the four struts were leaking (30,000 miles). Is this something that Toyota will cover/replace or is it considered a normal wear item?
Thanks!

Have them show you where the leaks are. If it's really true you should be able to see where it is. If they are full of it you probably won't see anything!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM

The oil coming out of the strut can be seen on the lower part of the stut and will look like is was sprayed on out of a bottle. Do you want to take a guess how a dishonest tech makes it look like a strut is leaking???
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2009 TCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
The oil coming out of the strut can be seen on the lower part of the stut and will look like is was sprayed on out of a bottle. Do you want to take a guess how a dishonest tech makes it look like a strut is leaking???
Oldest trick in the books, along with ball joints and tie rod ends lol!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Tags
altima, car, chevy, cover, coverage, covered, extended, gm, honda, leaking, lifespan, nissan, platinum, shocks, struts, toyota, warranty, warrenty