TCH and HOV Lanes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default TCH and HOV Lanes

According to this site:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/hov.html
you can only drive in the HOV lanes in New Jersey, Florida and Virginia. Florida requires a $5.00 window sticker. I wonder if they are reciprocal? There are times I would have liked to use the HOV lanes heading north through the DC area.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH and HOV Lanes

Yes, that's correct, for example NY requires minimum 45MPG to be considered for HOV lanes permit with single driver, I wish they had some federal standards for this, since it's getting confusing especially for people living on the borders of 2 states with each state having it's own rules.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Lord of Time and Space

My understanding in VA is that you can drive a TCH on I-66 inside the Beltway, but to use the HOV lanes on 95 between Triangle and the Beltway, and I-395, you had to have registered the vehicle before a specific date, which has passed: http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/re...s/HOVFINAL.pdf

Last edited by stevil; 08-01-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

I called the VA State Police and spoke to trooper who said he know of no reason why I couldn't use their HOV lanes. He said that I might be stopped but as long as I met Florida's rules and regulations there shouldn't be a problem.
I will definitely give it a try. I will write down the Barracks and their number and the date I called and explain what I was told there shouldn't be a problem. Maybe......I hope. LOL

Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Just yesterday I was in the HOV lane on I-66 in Northern Virginia, and there was a Camry Hybrid right behind me in the HOV lane, with just the driver and without the required license tag.

Once we both passed inside the Beltway on I-66, a motorcycle patrolman who was sitting on the shoulder let me pass, then started after her and pulled her over. I hope he was knowledgeable and gave her a warning and the information she needs about proper licensing. The three times I've been stopped, I've been the one to educate the officer regarding Virginia law.