Using B for extra regen when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Using B for extra regen when braking

I don't know Toyota has B programmed in the TCH, but I've discovered that it can be used to boost regeneration when braking.

Several times now when braking to a stop on a down hill grade in EV mode, I've changed from D to B without leaving "EV" mode at about 35mph (I mean the MPG needle shows below 60mpg, indicating the ICE is not spinning). The ICE did not spin up, and even though I was lightly braking, the car slowed down quickly as if I stepped firmly on the brakes. After two such stops, only the very top SOC bar was not solid.

This certainly appears to boost the amount regen if you are already in EV mode and braking before switching to B. I'm not sure if doing this results in more regen than braking harder, but it appears so from the increase in SOC when stopping. On a level grade, I doubt it would help any. When I exit the freeway and have to stop at the bottom of a freeway offramp for a red light it sure seems to help. Just brake lightly until you drop into EV mode (at ~ 40mph) and drop into B.

I'm curious if others have tried this?

Old 07-03-2006, 07:33 PM
no more oil
Thumbs up Re: Using B for extra regen when braking

nash

that is very cool. Can it work on the highlander as well?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Geek
Default Re: Using B for extra regen when braking

no. http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html
_H*

Old 07-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hobbit
Quite an interesting read - thank you.

As soon as you crest 20 mph, however, the engine begins spinning -- to enable the system to dissipate more energy at the higher speed

I've repeately been in EV mode going downhill around 35mph, and while lightly braking, went to B and did not have the ICE spin up. This makes me believe some things have changed with B mode compared to the Prius writeup in the link above.

It may well be that no additional "regen" capacity is gained by B mode VS harder braking in D. I can't really say. If anyone has more info, please share with us!

Old 07-04-2006, 09:38 AM

I think this is similar to the "low gear adavantage" for the FEH. Read some of those threads as I think you might be able to get more details on how to optimize it.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Electricity Guzzler

Yes, I've wondered about this. From what I've read and what some salesman have told me is that the car doesn't regen the battery when using the B (engine brake) mode. From my driving exp. I've got the impression that it does. I have been wondering if the efficacy of the regen increases when B mode is engaged. I'm still experimenting. This is def. a ques. all would love to know. If so, some may use this to prolong their brakes even longer. I'm looking forward to hearing how long our brakes last. Given time this will also become a juicy post. My last car consistently chewed thru brakes.