Video Output on Nav

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Video Input on Nav

Aight, I've finally decided to install a video in jack to my nav system. Only thing is, I'm not sure it will work. I found pin-outs of the nav system and have a plan in my head how to wire it but since I can't find anyone online who did what I did, this is all just theory and I want to run this by a crowd before I do it. There are already documentations in other threads on the video pin-outs so I'm gonna assume that my video input is hooked up to that. However, this video signal will only turn on if the nav system thinks the car is in reverse. I plan to disconnect the reverse signal to the nav system. I thought about making it switchable but then I realized that as far as I am concerned, my nav system does not need to know if I'm really going in reverse or not. (If any of you can think of a reason why, please share!) Instead I will provide a switch and switchable power to the pin so I can turn the video on or off. I also noticed that adjacent pins are speed sensors so when I take my nav system apart I will measure the current and voltage of the speed sensor to see if I can make it switchable too so that you can enter nav inputs while driving. My guess is that 0V will mean 0 speed. I am questioning whether this will work or not because the nav system may use GPS to determine speed inside the nav unit rather than from the speed signal from combination meter. This will, of course, lock out the nav inputs from the GPS calculated speed. Also I am guessing that when I have the speed signal switched off, the navigation will have a harder time interpolating positions between GPS readings too. This will mean I will have to switch the speed switch back after using the nav inputs. I do think this is worth doing seeing how having passengers enter nav inputs while I'm driving can be very useful. Any comments on why this might be a bad idea are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Pepsi; 10-27-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Video Output on Nav

The title of the thread says video output, I assume you are looking for the video input.

Yep, put +12 on the reverse pin and the car will think it's in reverse.

As for the speed signal, you can't just disconnect it. Check this thread out....
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...igation-15650/

Dang

Old 10-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks! I missed that thread while searching. Ok, so now for the speed signal wire, I think I'll go for the pulse generator. Seems easy enough to make!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pepsi
Thanks! I missed that thread while searching. Ok, so now for the speed signal wire, I think I'll go for the pulse generator. Seems easy enough to make!
Do keep us updated and provide any pictures you take! Good luck!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update. It was a partial success. I followed the directions for the pulse generator and it worked like it should. Only advice I have that wasn't clear in the other thread is to make sure you switch the pulse generator on the output so you can either pass through the unmodified speed signal or the pulse signal. As for the video signal, I ran into some problems. First, make sure you switch the reverse signal like the pulse generator. Pass though the original signal or pass a 12V signal. Second, the words "Check surroundings for safety" show up on the video display. Third, I used a portable media player to output a video signal. It showed up distorted like a tv with bad v-sync. I will try different devices that output video to see if it works with anything else. If I am successful, I will post another update but I have to do some research about video signals first. On a side note, funny things happen when you mess with the reverse/speed signals. If you drive forward and switch the reverse signal on, the nav system starts to position you as if you were going that speed backwards until it receives its next GPS update.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't suppose your portable media player was set to PAL was it? Just a thought. I thought the Nav just took NTSC composite in, so shouldn't need a seperate sync signal.

Interesting on the GPS thinking you are in reverse. I guess that makes sense.

Best of luck!

Dang

Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Dazed and Confused

Update. It was a partial success. I followed the directions for the pulse generator and it worked like it should. Only advice I have that wasn't clear in the other thread is to make sure you switch the pulse generator on the output so you can either pass through the unmodified speed signal or the pulse signal. As for the video signal, I ran into some problems. First, make sure you switch the reverse signal like the pulse generator. Pass though the original signal or pass a 12V signal. Second, the words "Check surroundings for safety" show up on the video display. Third, I used a portable media player to output a video signal. It showed up distorted like a tv with bad v-sync. I will try different devices that output video to see if it works with anything else. If I am successful, I will post another update but I have to do some research about video signals first. On a side note, funny things happen when you mess with the reverse/speed signals. If you drive forward and switch the reverse signal on, the nav system starts to position you as if you were going that speed backwards until it receives its next GPS update.
When you got the pulse generator to work, did you look in the diagnostic screen to see that the pulse counts are going up? I have not gotten my speed pulse generator to work yet. I am not sure if I have an issue with some parts or if I have a different issue.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the 6.1 version of the navigation. How do I get to that screen? I just drove on the highway for several minutes to see if any of the functions would lock out. They did not so it works. The only indication of the pulse I have is the LED dimming for a fraction of a second. BTW, I got my video to work. I had to ground the negative end of the video signal to car ground. I have a nice vibrant video that I can turn on and off with a switch turning on and off the reverse signal.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have the 6.1 version of the navigation. How do I get to that screen? I just drove on the highway for several minutes to see if any of the functions would lock out. They did not so it works. The only indication of the pulse I have is the LED dimming for a fraction of a second. BTW, I got my video to work. I had to ground the negative end of the video signal to car ground. I have a nice vibrant video that I can turn on and off with a switch turning on and off the reverse signal.
Did you fix the "check your surroundings" text issue?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Did you fix the "check your surroundings" text issue?
No, I don't really mind it that much. I figure its a software issue and would require a firmware hack and I'm not about to put that much time into this to fix that part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video Output on Nav

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands