Water pump replacement "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Water pump replacement "How To"

If your are using an OEM style pump, you will need to use RTV (I use the black) to make a gasket. The pump that I used has a paper gasket and I put it on without any sealant. As long as the two surfaces are straight, clean and machined flat, a simple gasket without any other sealant will work fine.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good. Just curious - was it pump that leaked or goop let go? I can't get over using goop instead of gaskets.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

The pump bearing seals are what usually goes on a water pump. RTV works well as a gasket and sometimes is your only choice. A lot of modern engines use a bead of RTV for oil pan, intake, water pump and timing cover gaskets without having any problems. I'm just clumsy enough that it gets EVERYWHERE when I use it. The only thing worse to me is anti-sieze which has the ability to migrate across space and time to surfaces miles away from where I opened and used it.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 01-13-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM

Hmmm... you must be using Star Trek anti seize brand. Mine sticks to me. But runs out fast.
Got it all. Thanks, bro. Good thread, good help!!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Malcontent

I replaced my water pump about a year ago with a very inexpensive GMB 170-2470. It came with a paper gasket but the instructions seemed to imply that sealant was still required so I ended up using both as the paper gasket seemed kind of inadequate.

Today, the power steering went out so I'm going to get my SSC 90A recall performed.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Does anyone have the torque specs for the water pump and thermostat bolts? What is the OEM thermostat temperature? I found a spot on my garage floor, may be getting into this soon. I have to determine if it was coolant or tranny fluid.

Do you have to remove the pulley before you remove the water pump from the car or can you do it after?

You also said there is a petcock on the engine? Where is it located?

Last edited by UWAdventurer; 04-07-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Does anyone have the torque specs for the water pump (80 in-lbs) and thermostat bolts?(80 in-lbs) What is the OEM thermostat temperature? (176F to 183F) I found a spot on my garage floor, may be getting into this soon. I have to determine if it was coolant or tranny fluid.

Do you have to remove the pulley before you remove the water pump from the car or can you do it after? You will not be able to remove the pump without removing the pulley first.

You also said there is a petcock on the engine? Where is it located? There will either be one on each side or just one in the front. They are located in the lower side of the block just above the oil pan. They torque to 9 ft-lbs (108 in-lbs)

Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Anyone knows of leak prone aftermarket pumps? I had mine replaced by dealer (have no doubt, OEM Toyota one) about a year ago under warranty, and lo and behold, coolant level starts dropping down in expansion canister now. Which I safely assume, is the pump. Don't see any pink beard yet, but....

Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Urkle,.....(LOL, Couldn't resist) ukrkoz,.....I used a GMB pump and so far, so good. I hope the pump works out OK as I am trying to get my Fairlane ready for the Power Block Tour. I am also working on the Mustang as a backup.

I guess I am one of the "bad guys" as the 'Stang has a 347 roller pushing over 400 HP and the old Fairlane has it's original 260 V8 / 2 bbl / 2 speed. I figure life evens out out overall. I save gas with the Camry to run in the 'Stang.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Urkle is cool. Just misunderstood.
How long since you had it done? I need to call dealer who did the job and find out, it may still be under their year warranty.
But I'd rather put mine in, than run to them every year. This car is a keeper.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement "How To"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands