View Poll Results: What grade of oil do you use?
0W-20 all year
66.67%
0W-20 winter 5W-20 warmer months
11.11%
10W-30 all year
3.33%
Other grade or combination
10.00%
I don't know, I just ask for an oil change
8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

What grade of oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What grade of oil do you use?

I am seriously considering using 0W20 year round.
Those who use 0W20, do you live in the northern part of North America?
Do you notice a difference in FE?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: What grade of oil do you use?

Originally Posted by nicst47
0W-20 Mobile One synthetic.

Yes and Yes ... but not quantified, however I do notice that range has not decreased much (about 30 miles per tank) during the winter. Others have posted much greater differences on this forum.

However, my TCH is normally garaged, so I start my morning commute with warmer oil than some. It also has a tank heater that I use with a timer when up skiing or when the car is out somewhere overnight (if possilble).

Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Camry Freak

I can't really compare it to 5W20, because I've never used it, but I was under the assumption that using 0W20 would lead to easier starting- which should actually increase FE. Winter FE sucks anyway- so it would be hard to judge whether it was from the oil or just normal temperature variations.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07CamHybrid
0w-20 all year round. Finding is troublesome though. Wal-Mart used to carry it, but they don't anymore. Luckily, I bought a year supply. I hope they start carrying it again soon.
I could only find 0W-20 full synthetic from my local toyota dealer. We have 5 auto parts stores here in town plus a Super Walmart. None had the 0W oil. Walmart had it but that was a few months before I bought the TCH. I read some of the other car manufactures may have more hybrids on the road in 2009/10. That might bring the 0W back to the auto stores.

Try calling your local Toyota dealer parts department and ask. The toyota brand I bought came only in quart containers. The price was about the same as Mobil One. I noticed my engine was a little quieter when I switched to the synthetic. I bought 5 quarts. The engine takes about 4 1/4 quarts. I saved the remainder in the trunk in case I needed to add any.

It was the Toyota Tech at the dealership that had been to the hybrid school. He was the one that recommended me changing to the 0W at my first oil change. He mentioned it gets oil up into the valvetrain quicker than other oils. That sounded good enough for me.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-22-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by FastMover

Yes and Yes ... but not quantified, however I do notice that range has not decreased much (about 30 miles per tank) during the winter. Others have posted much greater differences on this forum.

However, my TCH is normally garaged, so I start my morning commute with warmer oil than some. It also has a tank heater that I use with a timer when up skiing or when the car is out somewhere overnight (if possilble).
Yes and Yes. Same as FastMover, I cannot give you a number. A few mpg maybe?

My car sits outside year-round.

At this point I would use nothing other than Mobile 1 0w-20.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I always use 0w20 Toyota Synthetic even here in Florida. Not sure, but I think somebody on here way back stated that it is rebranded for Toyota by Mobil. Maybe somebody could comfirm that.

Only problem the dealer will put in 10w30 unless you specify it. Then he is not sure if the carry 0w20 and has to ask.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: What grade of oil do you use?

I haven't had my first oil change yet. What does the factory use in its new cars?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 AM

5w-20 year round. It's what the dealer has for "normal" oil. My TCH is garaged and temps in San Diego rarely get below 40F. This morning was cold, 43F. Last week the lows were in the 50s.

I'm sure 0w-20 would get a tiny bit better gas mileage, and possibly get to the valve train a bit faster. I may try it once to see if I can tell any difference. Has anyone compared the two oils (5w-20 vs 0w-20) to see if their summer MPG changes enough to notice?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by imagrn1
I haven't had my first oil change yet. What does the factory use in its new cars?
I was told by the toyota service department that the break-in oil was 5w-20 dino oil. I still switched to 0w-20 full synthetic at my first oil change to protect the valve train during cold startups. I got slightly over 1 mpg increase in mpg after the change.

I ask the toyota certified tech about running 0w-20 year round. He said thats not a problem. The 0 works when the engine is cold. Once warmed up it's running on the higher number of the oil.

The temperature here in the New Mexico desert Summers gets up to 105 degrees. The man said it should just run fine, even in the heat.

Synthetic generally has a much higher film strength than conventional oil.

I read from a Amsoil site that their 0w-20 will pour down to -65 degrees and will protect the engine up to 475 degrees.

Last edited by rburt07; 02-05-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

I doubt that my car will ever be exposed to -65 even in Chicago!

What kind of price should be expected for a dealer oil change with the synthetic 0w-20?

Quick Reply: What grade of oil do you use?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands