View Poll Results: What grade of oil do you use?
0W-20 all year
66.67%
0W-20 winter 5W-20 warmer months
11.11%
10W-30 all year
3.33%
Other grade or combination
10.00%
I don't know, I just ask for an oil change
8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

What grade of oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What grade of oil do you use?

supertester — I don't know if it's necessary to change oil every 5000 miles (8000 km) when using 0W-20 synthetic, but I do.

Stan

Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
supertester — I don't know if it's necessary to change oil every 5000 miles (8000 km) when using 0W-20 synthetic, but I do.

Stan

I think it is also has to do with what kind of oil you are using. If it is mineral base, then it is wise to change every 8000km. If it is synthetic, you can go a bit longer without changing. Oil filter plays an important role too. If you have a good oil filter, you can go longer period. Even synthetic oil has many kinds. Some allows you longer period. Check your oil to see if it is black or golden brown.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by megamonsterman
I think it is also has to do with what kind of oil you are using. If it is mineral base, then it is wise to change every 8000km. If it is synthetic, you can go a bit longer without changing. Oil filter plays an important role too. If you have a good oil filter, you can go longer period. Even synthetic oil has many kinds. Some allows you longer period. Check your oil to see if it is black or golden brown.
Megamonsterman is right! use a paper towel and wipe the stick on it and if black change, if golden brown you are good to go, just a quick cheap way to check with out doing the complete test which runs $15.

Last edited by skywagon; 02-06-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: wrong
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

How often do I need to change oil when using the Toyota 0W20 Syntetic oil? Isnt 5000 miles an overkill for the synthetic?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by supertester
How often do I need to change oil when using the Toyota 0W20 Syntetic oil? Isnt 5000 miles an overkill for the synthetic?
Varies depending on driving habits and conditions. Either way, stick to the 5k intervals at least until you are out of warranty.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM

A certified toyota tech once told me the 0W-20 full synthetic oil is great to use in a hybrid. With the engine kicking on and off a lot. This allows for a quicker oil flow to the valve train. This would be while the engine is warming up or during a cold winter engine start or during normal driving.

I plan on using the 0W-20 synthetic year round. I did not have the hybrid when Walmart was carrying the 0W oil. In our city of about 38,000 population, the only place to buy it is at our local Toyota dealer. It comes in quart containers and cost about the same price as Walmart, when they stocked it.

I read that the 0W synthetic can protect a engine with up to over 400 degree temperatures. I change my oil and filter ever 5000 miles. The filter comes from the dealer.

Last edited by rburt07; 02-25-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL

Stan
I'm an old timer from the old school. My 08 FEH has 4,800 miles, and I changed oil/filter with 5W20 semi-synthetic at 800 miles. Then again @ 2000 miles, and went with Mobil full synthetic, 5W20, and of course a new filter. Overkill? Maybe. But IMHO, the first two oil changes are the most important in the car's life.

I plan to go to 4,000 interval for next oil/filter change (full synthetic, 5W20), and thereafter, probably 5K miles. I'll continue with full synthetic Mobil 1.

Ford recommends 10,000 miles, but then they sell new cars Ten thousand miles may be OK???? I've just changed oil too often for too many years, and it's hard to change. But I've NEVER had a major engine problem.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by KenE
... But I've NEVER had a major engine problem.
I'm not an expert and with all due respect, but in the 32 years since I got my license, I've only heard of one person who had engine problems. He thought his wife took care of changing the oil and she thought that he did, so after a year, or so, the car stopped working.
Not a big deal, for him, since he makes a nice income.
The point being, do people really have major engine problems these days (even if they change oil at lengthy or irregular intervals)?

Last edited by haroldo; 02-26-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I use 5w20 all year long. Only $19.97 for 5 QTs at the local wally world. Sometimes Checker Auto will run a deal where you can get 5 QTs and a filter for $5.97 after rebate. Now this is synthetic oil I use.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenE
I'm an old timer from the old school. My 08 FEH has 4,800 miles, and I changed oil/filter with 5W20 semi-synthetic at 800 miles. Then again @ 2000 miles, and went with Mobil full synthetic, 5W20, and of course a new filter. Overkill? Maybe. But IMHO, the first two oil changes are the most important in the car's life.

I plan to go to 4,000 interval for next oil/filter change (full synthetic, 5W20), and thereafter, probably 5K miles. I'll continue with full synthetic Mobil 1.

Ford recommends 10,000 miles, but then they sell new cars Ten thousand miles may be OK???? I've just changed oil too often for too many years, and it's hard to change. But I've NEVER had a major engine problem.
This is a little overkill if you ask me. I change my oil in my Honda's every 10K will full synthic oil only. I have owned 7 Honda's over the past years and I have never had an engine problem. I am one who will only keep a Honda until about 120K on the engine and off for a new one. Now I do drive 25K per year (50 miles on way to work) and beat the hell out of my car. I am not one who believes you have to baby a car. It a car and you drive it. Change the oil and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: What grade of oil do you use?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands