Who had more information you or your salesperson

Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Who had more information you or your salesperson

We just picked up our TCH today and the salesperson giving us the car overview was wrong or just missed informing us about some of the features on the car. I cheated and took the owners manuals home last night before we picked up the car. Not wanting to embarrass the salesperson I waited until we left in the car to tell my wife the things he did not know or got wrong. I am not trying to give the impression I am a know it all but because I was excited about getting the car spent extra time looking through the manuals and have been lurking here for 3 weeks here to learn.. It seems to me with as many features as the car has they should have someone who would be knowledgeable and show the new owners correctly. All the posts on this forum really helped me make the decision to buy this, car thank you all.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who had more information you or your salesperson

My experience was the same. I went in there and got a horrible salesman who didn't know the car at all. I was already sold on the car and I didn't care so I didn't bother correcting him at all. He was a nice guy though.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had much more information on the car than my salesperson. I'm sure they study a lot on each new vehicle, but there are so many to learn. For me its easy. Spending a few hours each evening online researching and comparing all the details of one car to another.

I spent a couple of years casually reading about the prius and all it's details including customer reviews. I decided to go with the 2007 Camry. It was my wife that mentioned gas prices will probably be going up over the years. If I wanted a new car, lets go with the hybrid.

The Toyota saleslady ask my wife to test drive the TCH first. I could not believe my eyes, my wife has refused to test drive the last five new cars I have bought. She got in and drove the TCH for a couple of miles. In a large parking lot the lady ask her to turn tight circle to show just how tight the car will turn. Then it was my turn to drive. My wife was sure pleased and how easy the Camry handled.

After all, this Camry is the top selling midsize car, and now available in a hybrid.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Enthusiast

Among other things, my salesguy kept insisting the back seats didn't fold down until I physically showed him that they did...he was a nice guy, though. It's been my experience that both the sales and service department were not as knowledgeable about the hybrid as they should be.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I got mine in June of 2006. The saleswoman knew close to nothing about the car. I gave her a pass because the model was so new. A year later, I wonder, will she know more? Or is it because these things still sell themselves that salesperson knowledge isn't that important? Not to mention the fact that they're a small percentage of a dealership's sales.

Of course, I always do so much research that the salesperson rarely knows as much about the car as I do. I feel like I need to absorb as much information as I can in advance of purchasing. I don't like to be surprised after spending so much money.

Oh, and finally, I never ask a salesperson for purchasing advice. Their "job" is really feeding their family, and they'll tell you whatever it takes to get that commission. (That's what I was told by one of the "smoothest" salesmen I've ever known personally. He said the buyer should check with their friends or Consumer Reports, but his opinion is always the sale that makes him the most commission!)

Last edited by bmgoodman; 07-18-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 AM

I had the same experience as the rest of you.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM

I definitely knew more than the three salesmen I spoke with. I was surprised at the misinformation I was given by some of them.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

My salesman was pretty much up on the car. Able explain the features etc.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by tnsig
I definitely knew more than the three salesmen I spoke with. I was surprised at the misinformation I was given by some of them.
It really is sad. The sale[wo]men should really know a bit more about the car. How can they sell what they don't know...well...I guess they do make out.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
It really is sad. The sale[wo]men should really know a bit more about the car. How can they sell what they don't know...well...I guess they do make out.

One would think when that's your bread and butter that you'd be on your game. Guess not

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who had more information you or your salesperson

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands