View Poll Results: Who knew more about yor TCH?
I knew much more than my salesperson.
65.75%
I knew less than my salesperson.
4.11%
I knew some and my salesperson taught me some.
27.40%
I did not have a salesperson. I bought it out right.
2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Who knew more?

Old 08-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Who knew more?

I know that when I went to pick up my TCH I knew way more about it than the salesman. I was not too shocked. He asked me to teach him about the car. The first Toyota lot I went to I walked right by a white LE and this salesperson walked up and asked to help me. I asked if they had any TCHs on the lot. Right away she walked to the white LE I just passed. I did not follow. She had to look at the sticker on the window to say, well this is not one!

I work in I.T. and I have to know a lot about everything. Why can't salespeople just learn the basics about what they do for a living. Makes me wonder how they sell cars or how many dumb people out there buy cars without knowing anything about them.

I did a good deal of research before buying this car.

Last edited by FL07THC; 08-22-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who knew more?

I'm always shocked at the lack of product knowledge in car salespeople. I've even had a heated arguments with a misinformed salesman over the number of cylinders the engine has, settled by having him count the spark plugs in shock in embarrassment. While I knew way more about the TCH than the salesman in the current case, I wouldn't say his knowledge was less than the average car salesman about the average car.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

OK folks. I knew more than the salesman about the TCH BUT ...
There are more than TCH's going out the back door.
The number of standard features, optional features, required optional features and feature mixes is astronomical across the current Toyota fleet.
To commit that all to that and the "speeds and feeds" to memory while possible is a daunting task.
I don't believe a salesperson should necessarily "shoot from the hip" I think we should cut them a little slack if they don't know the TCH inside out and upside down.
No, I don't sell automobiles for a living I too am in I.S.
J

Old 08-23-2006, 04:32 AM
WVGasGuy

When I bought, I was standing out looking at the car as some paper work was being done and another couple drove in. They had heard of the TCH and was surprised to see one. They didn't get to drive mine but I opend the door and the hood and "walked" them around the car pointing out features. I answered their questions, even about the warranty and battery life while their salesperson just stood there and watched.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:39 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

But do you know if the Highlander Hybrid has a Phase II or Phase III Hybrid system?
Do you know the towing capacoity of the Sienna LE V-6.
Do you know if you can get a NAV without leather in a Yaris?
Do you know if power seats are available in a Corolla without a Moon Roof?
Where is the automatic transmission dip-stick on a conventional V6 Camry?
Get my point ?
There is more to selling a car than knowing one particular model.
J
PS. The Conventional V6 Camry has no transmission dip-stick.
The Highlander has the same hybrid system as the classic Prius not the HSD.
Plus most of the answers to the above are moving targets.

Last edited by schmidtj; 08-23-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In my case the salesperson knew more for two reasons.
  1. I didn't find this website until after I plunked down my deposit.
  2. The salesperson owned a TCH.
I was quite shocked that the salesperson owned one. He said that the deal fell through at the last minute and the dealership allowed him to purchase it.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
But do you know if the Highlander Hybrid has a Phase II or Phase III Hybrid system?
Get my point ?
J
Smcmidtj,

Excellent points. There is so much to know about any product out there (whether autos or not) that it's difficult to learn everything. Often you can't learn it by studying brochures or manuals. It's only after answering the same questions time and again that you learn through repetition. With a new car with unusual technology that just came out there's a good chance the salesperson has never been asked your question before.

We own a furniture store and I'm amazed at how much there is to know in our business; the construction of the product, whether it can be ordered in leather, microfiber or fabric, how do you clean it, can I change the finish, etc. Auto manufacturers have many models available with many trim levels (SE, LE, XLE, etc.). Then some options are available individually and others only in packages, it can be daunting.

One other thing to consider. For most of them the TCH is another car to sell, it's not an obsession (not that anyone on this board is obsessed).

Old 08-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Get my point ?
J
Are you asking me?

I don't sell Toyotas. I don't care about the Corolla, Sienna or the Yaris, but if I sold them I would educate myself on them. I did not find one salesperson in the south that knew much of anything about the TCH. I learned basic stuff by reading over a period of 2 days. If I were them I would read about the products I sell, after all the do cost a lot of money.

Oh and BTW... The Highlander does have a HSD http://image2.autorevo.com/557/pics/...f033a52adc.jpg

Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Oh and BTW... The Highlander does have a HSD http://image2.autorevo.com/557/pics...3f033a52adc.jpg

See, another moving target.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

I did all my research on the net, then went to the dealership to take a test drive.
Went to 2 different d(s)tealers, neither wanted to talk about a TCH, they just wanted to sell one off the lot. Got the whole "why do you want to spend xxx more for a hybrid" speech from both.
Drives me CRAZY when they do that. I'm there to buy a specific product, don't try to redirect me to something else.

One of the d(s)tealers calls me and says they had a deal fall through of a TCH to come by and give it a test drive. Salesman knew NOTHING about the car, I had to show him 90%of the features, but we ended un not liking the color (Mag Grey).

Ended up calling our credit union car buying service, told them we wanted either a Jasper, Barc Red or a White in that order with NO FREEKIN $700 oil change (Toyo Guard, I live in GA. pretty much automatic around here).

Well they call back last Fri. said they have a Red one (no Toyo guard)in port, it's ours if we want it, I said done deal. Saved us big bucks with sales tax on the trade in. Even got the floor mats free.
4 days from 1st call to cu to delivery of the car, Credit Unions are the way to go

Picked it up at the credit union, dropped our trade in at the cu, didn't have to set foot at a d(s)tealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who knew more?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands