Yet another smartkey question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08
Default Yet another smartkey question?

Are all HYQ14AAB keys compatible i.e. if I buy an HYQ14AAB key that says it is for earlier or later model of other cars or TCHs, can it be programmed to my 2009 TCH? I've seen this key be listed for all sorts of other models and not always for mine. e.g. http://www.originalkeyless.com/2010-...try-Remote.htm.

Some places like the above have reasonable prices. Others like this: http://www.remotesandkeys.com/Produc...ductCode=4288A seem to be out in left field. Fleabay sellers seem to want $65-$90 depending on whether it has uncut key or not.

I could care less about the key being cut.

Update: I have found two other remotes (other than the 4 button silver one that is mine) that claim to be HYQ14AAB. One is a three button one and one looks totally different. It is possible the (non-fleabay) sites displaying these have an error. So my revised question is
if I buy a 4 button silver HYQ14AAB key fob that says it is for earlier or later model of other cars or TCHs, can it be programmed to my 2009 TCH?

Last edited by jpezz; 11-27-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-27-2010, 07:01 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08
Default Re: Yet another smartkey question?

Is this a knockoff?

http://autokey.en.gongchang.com/product/3969173

And this company seems to be the "advertiser" for the one above. With minimum order of 10, can we get together if this is legit?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/33...USA_Model.html

Sounds like the first company is the supplier for the fleabay sellers.

And this one will sell one for $58 plus shipping from China.

Last edited by jpezz; 11-27-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I trust Chinese manufacturers of imitation products as much as the next guy (that is, I don't trust them at all). The car is a $25,000 investment, the second biggest investment most people will make in their lives (behind their homes). The key is the difference between moving and not moving, and this one item could be the difference between life and death (in extreme situations). I think it wise to pay up for a key from Toyota and kow that it's 100% reliable than to try and save $50 (?) by getting a knockoff.
Save money by buying used or refurbished computer equipment, by going out to dinner less often or by doing your own lawncare, etc. However when it comes to a key, would you want to gamble on its reliability with a Chinese manufactured knockoff?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Investment is putting money into something with the hope of profit. More specifically, investment is the commitment of money or capital to the purchase of financial instruments or other assets so as to gain profitable returns in the form of interest, income {dividend}, or appreciation of the value of the instrument.

unless it's a collectible item that appreciates with time, or is serving directly to produce income/profit, like a taxi, vehicle that loses 20% of it's value the very moment it crosses dealership gate, is NOT an investment.

house, on the other hand, being real estate purchase, appreciates on average at 7% a year long term. this is considered an investment.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Investment is putting money into something with the hope of profit. More specifically, investment is the commitment of money or capital to the purchase of financial instruments or other assets so as to gain profitable returns in the form of interest, income {dividend}, or appreciation of the value of the instrument.

unless it's a collectible item that appreciates with time, or is serving directly to produce income/profit, like a taxi, vehicle that loses 20% of it's value the very moment it crosses dealership gate, is NOT an investment.

house, on the other hand, being real estate purchase, appreciates on average at 7% a year long term. this is considered an investment.

Boy you do have opinions don't you?,

Have you looked at the housing market lately? Houses were a great investment that will probably not reach their peak again for a decade if then, meanwhile the taxes paid, insurance and upkeep will continue to take bites from your "profit".

I also take it that you did not "invest" in your future by having kids. yep, a GREAT return on your money there.....Not to mention your investment in time in your marriage, community service or other myriad "investments" that I make with my time and money.

In this case the poster is trying to protect the money they have "invested" in their car by buying OEM parts that they believe will not harm it in any way. That is an "investment" whether it meets your definition or not. You are free to believe what you wish but be aware that others do not share your viewpoint.

They are trying to maximize the remaining value of their vehicle when it is traded or sold at replacement time. That is a VERY real number that is affected by your choices while you own the car.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
FWIW, if one calculates the true cost of home ownership, including maintence, utilites, taxes, interest, etc. the real rate of return over time is a lot lower than the stated rate. In fact, if you properly compare real estate to the long term returns the same payments would earn on a diversified pool of equities, chances are they'd be pretty disappointed with the return on their home (not focussing on the last few years, but over the longer term). Of course, you have to live somewhere and real estate is a life style choice, but home ownership is far from being a money maker that people think it is (with the obvious exceptions here and there).
The magic in real estate investing is the ability to leverage the property all the way up. If you invested 20 years ago in the S&P, putting down 15% of the purchase, you'd trounce any real estate holding...IMHO...YMMV