HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
Angry 2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

HELP. After 93,000 pain-free miles, my transmission totally went out on my '03 Civic Hybrid. Dealer first said it was Cut Input Speed Sensor. They installed new one, didn't fix problem. They then pulled transmission apart and now saying flywheel has "broken teeth". Plans to replace flywheel on Friday when part arrives, but can't (or won't?) tell me what caused the breakage.

Add to this it happened the day before thanksgiving, and I've been without a car for a week, probably will be until Friday. Despite all timely Honda maintenance, a call to "Honda cares" proves they really don't. Offering nothing to help solve problem, as over 36,000 and off warranty. Is this common? If so, I'm trading it in on a Toyota the day I get it back.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

Welcome to Greenhybrid tlanci- I have two questions if you don't mind.
  1. What were the symptoms you were experiencing. (Noise, vibration, stall etc)
  2. What MPG were you averaging either from your dash or calculator?
This is the first time I've heard of flywheel having broken teeth. They wouldn't normally be used unless the hybrid battery is nearly dead or in extrememely cold weather. (Forcing the conventional starter to function)

Old 11-28-2006, 06:28 PM

Broken teeth doesn't sound right. Did they try to flush the transmission fluid? The only issue I had and have heard about was rumbling on acceleration from a stop and flushing the transmission fluid a few times seems to have fixed it for anyone that had that problem.

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having. I've only got 50K miles on my car I hope it doesn't break at 90K.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast

To follow up to answers: no real problems with transmission stuff since the early jerking at high speeds ended at around 28K. It had been making a groaning noise from the steering column at takeoff and in turns. Mechanics found it, but didn't have Help Desk solution on the Saturday I had the car in. But transmission? No. No jerking, bumping, etc, just "stop".

Mileage has hung steady at 38 with mixed highway around town trips. I'm in coastal Georgia, so don't think the cold did it. As to the flush, I just had the very expensive 90K service done a month ago, surely if something needed addressed, they could have done it then? Although come to think ofit, the warning light did come on fora few days after their service. When I called, they thought it was likely the old gas cap bugaboo, sure enough it blinked out a few days later. Now I wonder?

Ideas, theories, suggestions are all welcome!

Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

My transmission gave out at 40,000 miles.

Honda's CVT transmission has reliability problems. Try to speak with someone from Honda to get it fixed for free.

Tell Honda that you know there are problems with the transmission (google Honda CVT trouble), you should find more than a few people had the same issue.

I got the tranny fixed and then traded in the car for a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. I love my new SUV (but that is another story).

Keep at Honda and they should take care of you. As far as toyota, they are having quality issues. Also, I personally think that it is worth the extra $1,000 for an extended warranty on any new car you buy, especially hybrids. To me, they are rolling science experiments.

Good Luck

Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

I just received the April 2007 Consumer Reports.

On page 83 they explain their reliabilty ratings:
"Because problem rates in some trouble spots are very low, we do not assign a (black circle) or (half black circle) unless the model's problem rate exceeds 3 percent. If a problem rate is below 2 percent, it will be assigned a (half red circle). If a problem rate is below 1 percent, it will be assigned a (red circle)."

The Civic Hybrid reliability information is listed on page 87. Under transmission, the '03 model has a (half black circle), the '04 - '05 models have (half red circle) and the '06 model has a (red circle). So, at least 3% of '03 HCH owners have had a problem with their transmission. Did Honda make a transmission change between '03 and '04?

Interestingly, the regular '03 Honda Civic sedan rates higher in some areas than the Hybrid. I thought they were virtually identical.

Of course, compared to other manufacturers, you won't find very many "black marks" in the Honda line up. On page 25 they list the predicted liability by make. Toyota and Honda are tied at the top, followed by Scion, Acura and Lexus (all brand mates!).

I hope that when Consumer Reports subscribers complete their upcoming reliability questionnaire that the transmission trouble spot does not slide to a (black circle).

I have an '03 HCH and have had the fluid change/burnishing procedure done as a "courtesy warrantee". My brother also has an '03 HCH and has had the same procedure, too. So far, so good. I'm glad I got an 80K Honda extended warrantee.

I really think Honda owes all of us 1st generation owners a free repair when they find a permanent solution to this problem.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Service Desk person told me the replacement transmission has improved parts. Honda also has a "kit" to fix the problem. It sounds like honda identified the problem and has fixed it.

I did not like the idea of a 36,000 mile warranty on the transmission. That is why I bought the extended warranty.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

My 2003 CVT is at the dealer in Los Angeles now for the same thing. 101,000 miles. It was jerkinf around at low speed for a week or so and then the transmission quit while I was driving 65+ down the freeway. The engine was on but the transmission would not engage. The brain surgeons at the dealer quoted me aprice of $1200.00 for a new flywheel. The teeth were apparently all missing on mine. That was last Thursday. Yesterday I had to call them to ask when I could get my car. Lo and behold they replaced my flywheel and it still didn't work. Now they are claiming the sensors are not communicating with each other. They still haven't fixed it or found out the problem.

Does anyone know of a good dealer in southern California? Did I get hosed on the flywheel?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

Replay from last year?

Check out the new april 2008 consumer reports. They show the chart of Civic Hybrid reliability on P90.

The 03 Hybrid has 'worse than average" for Transmission, Major and "much worse than average" for Transmission, Minor. Overall it is not rated as high as the standard Civic sedan.

The 04 Hybrid has "average" in both categories.

The 05 Hybrid has "better than average" in both categories.

The 06 and 07 Hybrids are "much better than average" in both transmission categories.

It seems like the transmission problem in '03 is more widespread than Honda would like to admit.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

2003 Civic Hybrid
July 2007 Driver side window went off track.
Air Conditioning went out July 2008.
Catalytic converted went out in September 2008.
October 2008 seat belts had to be replaces.
Transmission went out on Saturday April 4, 2009, and I was on the Freeway and caused an accident. Yep, I stopped in traffic and when everyone started moving there I sat in the middle of the Freeway, car on and in drive but not going anywhere.
Now the dealer wants $4500.00 to fix the transmission, that I’ve been bringing in for over a year now because it was juddering and making clunking noises while driving. Paid service call fee 100 plus dollars each time to be told nothing is wrong.
Thanks Honda and for a great product and great customer service!!!

Last edited by ltcramer; 04-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands