HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2004 IMA; Offset steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 AM
'The Convert'
Default 2004 IMA; Offset steering

I have two major concerns with my vehicle (2004 IMA, UK, right hand drive, 58,000miles) which I would greatly appreciate advice and feedback on;

1. Even though my wheels have been tracked and balanced my steering wheel is offset, around 4-5 degrees to the left. Honda uk dealer has told me that this is a "civic" thing, and that they could take the wheel off and rotate it to the right, but it would then be exactly the same, but offset to the right. Something to do with the splined connection within the steering column??

2. lack of self centering ability. There is very little self centering on the steering, but more of an issue is the fact I have to continually correct my steering to keep the car tracked. It has a tendancy to 'wander' ever so slighty. Not enough to be dangerous, but enough to mean Im always correcting the steering. The dealers say it is something to do with the EPS unit, and is a common problem.

In regards with both of the above, I have had all the suspension and steering components checked by the dealers and they have found nothing wrong. Does anyone else suffer these problems?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Think green.
Default Re: 2004 IMA; Offset steering

Hi. I haven't had that problem, but I remember reading about others who described something similar. I did a search on the forum and found this thread. If you do a search you may find more related threads.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...k-miles-14942/

Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

My car (2003, US) steers just fine; it may not be perfectly straight but I think I'd notice a 4-5 degree offset and I don't notice anything that big. It could be that it's a problem specific to your particular model but...that sounds a bit fishy to me.

If the dealer is telling you that they cannot correct this problem, you might want to ask around. Frequently I've had one dealer say "oh that's just how it is" when another one can fix it. It's also a matter of taste and finances--they might think they're doing a favor by saving you money on what might be an expensive tweak for small results.

Have you driven many other cars lately? This might help you get a sense of perspective of how bad the problem is. I drove an old volvo stationwagon and the wheel was offset slightly too, for years. It got worse after the car was in an accident and I had it realigned, but it was never back to where it was before. It could be that I am having the same problem but I just don't notice it because it's such an improvement over the car I was used to driving for years.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 AM
'The Convert'

Afternoon,
Thanks for the replies. Didnt realise there was already an active thread. It does seem to be the same problem as per posted; feels as though there is a notch of some sort when the wheel is dead centred. But when stationary the wheel is smooth and feels ok. So Im thinking that it could be something directly connected to the EPS or even better the EPS control unit (im assuming this would be far easier to replace than the eps unit). It has been like this ever since I bought it, and it sailed through the MOT. It really is a small niggle I suppose, as my partner says there is nothing wrong, but alas, when you know whats going on under the bonnet you tend to notice more. Where is the EPS control unit anyone?

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am assuming your description likely refers to the "home" or straight ahead position of your front wheels leave your steering wheel not quite centered. Generally this can be corrected by adjusting tie rod ends, one side out the other in (by equal amounts). Simply removing the steering wheel and repositioning it by one spline could make a larger adjustment than needed, with the offset from center simply shifted from one side to the other.

If you are referring to feeling something like a flat spot in the straight ahead position, from which attempting minor steering adjustments (such as staying centered in your lane at highway speeds) results in a notchy feeling movement and results in chronic over corrections, that could be caused by a defectively over tight steering rack. Mine was replaced, after a persistent effort on my part to have the problem first acknowledged and then addressed under warranty. The improvement with the replacement rack was remarkable. I don't know how common this steering rack problem was in HCH I's, but I did take note that beginning with the 2006 model year the steering rack was completely redesigned.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

You also might want to review this older thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...42/#post148413

I was not the only one with steering rack issues. Your second point (wandering, not returning to center properly) is pretty much exactly what my HCH I was doing.