HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Battery Charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Battery Charging

Ok, here's what's going on. My 03 HCH 1 has 119,000 miles on her and has been running just perfect. The only thing I've done is new tires and front brakes.

Now, when I let off the gas or brake, the green "charging bars" stop at about a quarter of the way and not the whole way. There is plenty of charging that needs to be done. Battery is only half charged.

This is happening more and more often. If I stop at a light, turn off the car and restart it, it will work just fine and show all green bars when I let off the gas or brake but this will only last for about 20 minutes and then revert back to only quarter charging.

Anyone else had this happen?

Howard

Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Charging

Have you ever had a recal on your car?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep. Did all that. The DMV wouldn't allow me to renew my registration without having that software recall performed.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Vegetarian

No, recal, one L. Where the battery recalibrates itself. The battery will discharge rather suddenly and then you'll get forced recharging until it's full again. It happens when the battery looses track of the real status of the state of charge.

I've never had it happen to me, so my discription may be a touch inaccurate. Do a search, there is plenty on it. Happens most often with manual trans though.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry. I thought you meant the recall. It's never totally discharged. When I did have that software recall performed and I picked up the car the battery was totally discharged but charged rather quickly.

I'm about to have the dealer do the 120,000 mile service on her. Maybe they will know something about a battery recalibration?

It seems to me that it may be something different though, since I can make it work by turning the car off and back on again.

Thanks. I'll search around and see what I come up with.

Howard

Old 06-28-2007, 11:15 AM

How is the temperature inside the car. It could be the battery is protecting itself from the heat.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's not hot by any means. A/C works just fine. I always make sure the battery vent in the back is free and clear and the back windows are also tinted.

The battery in the engine compartment is showing that it should be changed. The little window which should show green is showing red. It's the original battery.

Could that be the problem?

Howard

Old 07-05-2007, 01:53 PM

If the original battery is not working properly, the car could be trying to charge it all the time. Definately replace the 12V battery if it is dying.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, as I was driving to the dealer to have the 120,000 mile service done the IMA and the MIL light decided to make an appearance.

Let the dealer know and they performed a check of the IMA battery. Apparently it has deteriorated to a point of no return. The dealer is ordering a new battery and it will be replaced at no charge. These California cars are covered for 150,000 miles. How cool is that!!!

Howard

Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Energy Independence

Lucky you!
That CA (and 5 other PZEV states) warranty for all-things-emissions is pretty great.
44 other states get 8yr/80K IMA batttery (and most other IMA parts) warranties. Only 3yr/36K on quite a few emissions components.

Quick Reply: Battery Charging

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands