HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

A/C quit blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast
Post A/C quit blowing

HI greenhybrid.com,
I could not find any threads here on Air Conditioner, A/C issues here.
Here are my syptoms:
My A/C quit blowing yesterday after 7 years of faithful cool. All of the bottons turn on but no matter which temp i choose aside from the heater side of things cool air doesnt not come out, to make matters wore even ECON wont blow. no matter what speed i set the fans on it blows very little. Now when i use the heater it blows warm but not hard.
Im not new to cars, I am on another automotive fourm, so I have a basic idea on what the problem might be:

1. All of the R134 freon leaked out of the system causing the A/C compressor to stop pumping coolent. <----this is what i believe it is
2. A fuse blew for the A/C system
3. The compressor housing is leaking or fried
4. A A/C system hose(s) is leaking, stopped up, cracked ect.
5. ECU is malfuntioning

I will report back shortly on the codes, and real causes.
--for now im going to autozone and going to recharge my system and see if that fixes the problems.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C quit blowing

If it were mine I'd take it to the dealer and pay the few $ to have it diagnosed by the company which designed it in the first place.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Im betting your compressor has failed. Average repair bill on a new compressor: $1500.00.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dema
HI greenhybrid.com,
I could not find any threads here on Air Conditioner, A/C issues here.
Here are my syptoms:
My A/C quit blowing yesterday after 7 years of faithful cool. All of the bottons turn on but no matter which temp i choose aside from the heater side of things cool air doesnt not come out, to make matters wore even ECON wont blow. no matter what speed i set the fans on it blows very little. Now when i use the heater it blows warm but not hard.
Im not new to cars, I am on another automotive fourm, so I have a basic idea on what the problem might be:

1. All of the R134 freon leaked out of the system causing the A/C compressor to stop pumping coolent. <----this is what i believe it is
2. A fuse blew for the A/C system
3. The compressor housing is leaking or fried
4. A A/C system hose(s) is leaking, stopped up, cracked ect.
5. ECU is malfuntioning

I will report back shortly on the codes, and real causes.
--for now im going to autozone and going to recharge my system and see if that fixes the problems.
Can you control the air speed when the heater is on, or does it also not matter and blow very little?

If the air is not blowing out, it is your blower motor, a relatively inexpensive ($100 in a Jeep) and easy to fix problem and you can start by checking the fuse.

If the air does not move when you change the speed, it has nothing to do with the compressor. If your compressor was bad, it would be squealing when you turn it on (and most likely squealing all the time whether it was on or not), yet you never said this. So it is likely fine. You might need to get it recharged, but it isn't bad.

If the heater blows air and the a/c doesn't, then I'm stumped. It is my understanding that the A/C is a separate system and is not related to speed of air movement coming from vents. My basis for this is that my A/C compressor is no longer hooked to the timing belt, yet all my controls are fine. My compressor went bad awhile ago, made a slight squeal all the time, and is awaiting replacement. Used a different timing belt to reroute in a way such that the A/C compressor clutch is not turning. If your controls work when the heater is on and not with A/C, it is likely a computer problem, but not the car's computer. I would say the climate controls.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by That guy
Im betting your compressor has failed. Average repair bill on a new compressor: $1500.00.
Don't go to a dealer. Buy the exact same compressor from Majestic Honda for $355 and the filter drier from Amazon for $20:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...2FC+COMPRESSOR

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019IB9PM

Take them to any mechanic and have him put it in and charge the system for $300; or just do it yourself and have someone else charge the system for $80.

Total Price: $700, $430 is you do it yourself.