HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

catalytic converter class action lawsuit

Old 06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default catalytic converter class action lawsuit

How can we get a class action lawsuit versus American Honda for their troublesome honda civic hybrids?
I have an 2003. Catalytic converter failed at 100,000 and failure again at 140,000. Something is clearly wrong. I called American Honda and Sergio had nothing to offer. So $1300 for 40,000 miles on a converter, the slippage is back on the cvt, what's next?
What can we do as consumers?

This venting is therapeutic, but not for my wallet.

lewie

Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: catalytic converter class action lawsuit

I don't know, but I hope this catalytic converter failure doesn't happen to me...I'm at 41k and just got my CVT judder fixed today

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Expect the cvt judder back in about 15K miles. Really they should be fixing the cvts but they are just doing a band aid to get you out the door. I bet if you are starting from a stop up a hill, if you pay attention you will still notice it slipping ever so slightly.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

The CVTs are junk. Long live the manual transmission!

Doc

Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emdsd
The CVTs are junk. Long live the manual transmission!

Doc
Well, they're history as of 2005 on the HCH. I got mine, and am hoping for another 5-10 years out of it. By then there should be some 70-80 mpg diesel hybrids on the market. If it's a VW they'll likely have their newer auto transmissions which are more like electrically shifted manual transmissions, with out the fluid coupled slippage typical of most auto transmissions.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

We actually purchased used as we wanted the manual tranny. Our website goed in to more detail.

Doc

Old 08-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

I'm in!. Just was made to feel grateful when some unknown super dealer agreed to pay for 1/2 of my new catalytic converter - $750!. This was replaced 15 months ago under warentee. I just completed my 90000 mile service - $1700 on friday. Back in on monday with this "new" problem. I told the services manager that every time I get these services done - I'm back within a few weeks with that engine light. I'm convences they screw up with settings which destroys this catalytic converter. So how do we go about a law suit?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: catalytic converter class action lawsuit

I have an 04 civic hybrid and, of course, like everyone in this forum my check engine light came on at 114,000 miles. The light comes on and off. I was told that's because everytime I get on the freeway the computer in the car runs a test on the cat, sometimes it passes sometimes it doesn't. I've spoken to numerous dealers and haven't gotten much help. One thing they all agree on is that even though it does seems strange that a cat would fail at 100,000 miles they are in no way able to go in and check themselves if there really is something wrong with it or if it's a computer error. They are all telling me just to "trust" what the computer is saying and pay $1300 for a new cat. I've already had the software update done in 05 so no one seems to want to help.
I contacted Honda and they told me that they were not aware that there was such a common problem with the cat converters in their civic hybrids. They are trying to say that even though people post about it all over the Internet, no one has called about this issue before...sure. I'm really going to buy that I was the first person who ever called regarding this issue.
I'm guessing the class action depends on how many people pressure them to take responsability for their failing cat converters.
Honda also told me that customer service was as high as you could go in their corporation. What kind of shady company is this?
Does anyone know where to go from here?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

In July of 2007 I received a Product Update: Check Engine Lignt Stays on: It identified the problems as main computer control module- sensors and recommended contacting authorized Hond dealer for and appointment to have vehical updated. This was sent to me by Honda Automobile Division in Torrance CA.

The light went on again in 2009 while driving through CA. the dealer their gave me a form -Instructions for Reimbursement: Catalytic Converters form. Again this originated from American Honda Motor in torrance CA.

I did sent a complaint to customer services after my 2nd cat at 90,000 miles. The first was under warentee, the second was 1 month beyond warentee of the 1st. I was quit upset. The dealer ensure me there was nothing I could do outside of repair. Honda of America did reimburse me for the part and dealer reimbursed me for service. This took about a month and required me submitting proof of service and that I paid for it.

Good luck

Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

If this happens to me, I am just slapping a test pipe on with a CEL fix. I would be willing to bet the HCH1 without a cat would still pass most smog inspections.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: catalytic converter class action lawsuit

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands