HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Charging on level ground?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Charging on level ground?

Since December 2007, I've owned a 2003 HCH Stick with now about 83,000 miles.

Lately, I've noticed that the green charging bars on coming on when I'm what seems to be level ground when the IMA battery goes slightly below 50% charge or level on the gauge.

It used to be that the charging on level ground didn't kick-in until the the IMA bateery was at about two bars.

Is this a sign of the battery going or the need for a software update.

Otherwise, the car is PERFECT. I recently got over 60 MPG going from Lawrenceville, NJ to Tysons Corner, VA, (exactly 200 miles) with the A/C off, the cruise set at 54 miles per hour and the Harmony tires pumped to 40 PSI. The MPG meter actually read 66.9 MPG, but I know that it is about 5 % too optimistic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Charging on level ground?

For me forced charging on level, 45mph generally happens somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 State Of Charge. I've had my '05 MT for a couple of years and can't say I've noticed any change in that regard. What is "normal" in a hybrid is pretty hard to pin down since so many factors go into the charging decision matrix.

If the charging behavior changes noticeably under the same circumstances, it might indicate a problem.....or not. I've heard about recalibrations, where the IMA battery is allowed to completely discharge and only then begins a full recharging, but have yet to experience one in my HCH. As I understand it, these Recals can be triggered by diminished battery capacity (or when actual voltage isn't what the onboard "brain" has calculated it should be). I would have the error codes checked at the dealer at my next service and if nothing shows up just assume all is as it should be.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had my 2005 doing strange things with regen and I forced a recalibration by pulling the 12v battery for about 15 minutes, hooking it back up, and driving around at low rpms until the SOC was full again. All seems ok since then.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2003HCHStickMan
Since December 2007, I've owned a 2003 HCH Stick with now about 83,000 miles.

Lately, I've noticed that the green charging bars on coming on when I'm what seems to be level ground when the IMA battery goes slightly below 50% charge or level on the gauge.

It used to be that the charging on level ground didn't kick-in until the the IMA bateery was at about two bars.

Is this a sign of the battery going or the need for a software update.

Otherwise, the car is PERFECT. I recently got over 60 MPG going from Lawrenceville, NJ to Tysons Corner, VA, (exactly 200 miles) with the A/C off, the cruise set at 54 miles per hour and the Harmony tires pumped to 40 PSI. The MPG meter actually read 66.9 MPG, but I know that it is about 5 % too optimistic.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I think that is pretty normal for your car, nothing to worry about. Hybrids are funny and don't always act the same under seemingly the same conditions. Mine will generally start charging if it gets much under half way, but not always.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Mine charges on level ground too, when the battery is below half full. It isn't consistent...it must be depending on a variety of different conditions. I wouldn't worry about it...as long as you're still getting good mileage and don't have any strange sounds or warning lights, it's probably fine!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I took mine to VIR a few weeks ago. The battery was about 30% when I took it out. I was going full throttle uphill, and the IMA was still indicating charge. dangit! i want more power, don't put extra load on the engine!...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

My manual '05 consistently charges at 50% SOC or below and quits once it hits 50%. Engine load must be low, though. Inconsistency is in neutral...sometimes will charge, sometimes not.