HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Check Engine + IMA Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Check Engine + IMA Light

Hi All,

First time poster here (although I've taken advantage of the advice in threads before -- thanks!). I've got a 2003 HCH with the CVT, ~92,000 miles. Yesterday I was driving home from work and the check engine and the IMA lights popped on.

Stopped by advanced auto today to read the codes, and I pulled three off; P1600, P1449, and P1420. From what I've read on the forums / web, it looks like those are placeholder, maybe battery problem, and maybe cat converter problems respectively.

I cleared them with the read and then drove home, on my way back the IMA light popped on, but not the check engine light. I haven't checked the codes again to see what's left, but again, only the IMA light came on and not the check engine light.

Aside from the warning lights on the dash, the car seems to be driving just fine. Fuel economy doesn't seem any different, seems to be charging and assisting as normal. So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any better idea what the problem might be than my rough interpretations of other threads, and if there is any risk in continuing to drive the car. (I live 40+ miles away from the closest Honda dealer now, and I've got a fair amount of business travel coming up that doesn't leave me much time to try and figure out how to get it to the dealer.)

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Engine + IMA Light

P1420 is a code for the lower o2 sensor the last one in the system under the car. posible bad or dirty sensor (doubt it though) most likley your cats are on their way out and not doing their job good enough that was my problem.
p1449 is a code for the IMA battery and would pop on for a few reasons like +/- 2 volt deviation in the cells in your 144 volt battery, or overheating and a few more. it looks like you are having the same problems as i am now and thats a bad IMA battery. check out this guy. i'm most likley going to give him a call when a can scrape up 1,200 to bring my battery to him. http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/hch/index.html
as for the p1600 i was told it can be a communication problem in the OBDII system but most likley a place holder. it seems like when ever someone has a p1600 and a p1449 its their IMA battery gone bad.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Enthusiast

Follow up...

So I was finally able to get the car into the dealer on last week. They performed an IMA software update which cleared the light and told me that if there really was a problem, the light would come back on in a few days.

So, lo-and-behold, the next day the IMA light popped back on. So now I guess there actually is a problem with my battery. The car still seems to be driving fine. Does anyone know what the actual consequences of continuing to drive my car in this condition is?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

Two months ago (just before rolling over to 100,000 miles) my IMA light went on - 2003 HCH, which I've had since 7/2002. Dealer ran diagnostic & said battery going bad & needed to be replaced. Couldn't afford, so went online & found lots of posts where ppl still driving HCH & system working A-OK after thousands of miles past light coming on. After a couple weeks the light went off. (Thought it burned out) BUT came back on about 3 weeks ago, with the check engine light coming on shortly after. Finally got in to Autozone where they ran the codes. IMA was there, also p1440, which came up with other car brands but nothing for Honda. They called their Honda guy who said it was an overheating battery code. How serious is this? IMA working fine, no loss of battery charge, mileage still good. Can feel slight hesitation when starting to accelerate, but otherwise no other problems.

Last edited by GrnrGrl; 02-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Veteran Mechanic

Bacisally it means your battery has little to no charge differential left in it(won't hold a charge) this makes the charging system work way harder, which in turn makes the battery pack heat up, since it is being used as a giant resistor rather than storage.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Even if the control panel does not show any problems? Are there any safety issues with this? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Veteran Mechanic

It all depends on the severity of the cell damage you have.. These packs were very well safety tested I'm sure and are surrounded in a foam insulating layer that both burns slowly(i would hope) and gives of an odor foul enough to get you out of the car pretty quick.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast

O..K....After driving would I feel heat from the battery pack when I open the trunk? (I don't now) What other things would this impact? Is it possible there's a bad solenoid creating a false code? I've been reading posts where techs are working on replacing just the bad cells. Anyone have experience with this? Is this a viable option or just delaying the inevitable full battery replacement? I love my hybrid & hope to keep it another 100K miles. This is the first problem I've had so far, wish it wasn't such a biggie. Appreciate your input. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast

Having posted here for over a year, I knew what to expect when my Check Engine and IMA lights came on over the weekend. Long story short, my car is at the dealer, awaiting a refurbished battery. Cost? $3000 after tax. Many of you probably wouldn't keep your HCH after this, but mine only has 44,000. I bought it at 32,000 miles for $9000. So it's still worth it.

The previous owner kept it in the garage for long periods of time. So I was told that wasn't good for the hybrid battery. And that's why I've having to replace it with lower mileage than you guys.

I can confirm a light smell coming from the car from time to time. There was also a low noise from time to time (kind of sounded like a electric noise coming from under the hood) during acceleration.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast

I would like to know how you guys pulled codes off your car. Did you take it to AutoZone or do it another way?

Quick Reply: Check Engine + IMA Light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands