Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dreaded IMA Light with Malfunction Indicator Lamp

Well that is much better than the IMA light glowing at you! H

Old 11-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Think green.

Originally Posted by photogrl13
Yeah, I saw the update about the cat and O2 sensors. I'm afraid my mileage is still too high. I'm at 90k almost on the dot. Being that I recently bought the car from this dealer, I'm hoping they give me a little bit of leeway. We'll see, though. At this point, I'm just waiting on my appointment.

On a side note, when I left this afternoon for work, my IMA light didn't come on, only the malfunction indicator. It came on a few miles into my commute. I thought that was interesting. Left it with a full charge tonight so we'll see what it does tomorrow.
I think the cat update can be done regardless of how many miles you have on your car. The mileage limitation was only in regard to the oxygen sensor warranty. That's good that the IMA light didn't come on for you today.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

It's not the Cat. The Cat won't go bad at 90k. This was a problem earlier identified and the update now fixes that. They were replacing people's cat's when it wasn't the problem.

You likely have a deteriorated battery code. Do yourself a favor and get an OBII code reader, there are several on Amazon new for a little over $20. In the meantime, Autozone and Advance both will check your code for free. Taking it to the dealer will cost you $80.

If it is a deteriorated battery code, don't fret. I've been driving with one for 6 months now. I just keep resetting the code (with my scan tool). Don't change out the battery until it is *dead* dead, and I mean dead. The car still drives, gets good gas mileage, and runs fine, and can keep going for over a year with the code flying, so don't stress. You'll know when you need a new one because your 12V battery will no longer charge, then your car becomes useless.

For a new battery, check out these guys:
http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/hch/index.html

Your battery is nearly a decade old. Technology has greatly improved lately and these guys sell a BetterBattery replacement, that supposedly is better than the original. I've not done it yet, but I plan to. It costs 1/2 of what the dealer will charge you (about $2000 compared to $4500). They can also refurbish your battery for $1000, but that will only last 3-5 years.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast

So, today my IMA light went off completely and stayed off. (As opposed to yesterday when it came back on) Just for kicks and giggles tonight I disconnected my 12v to reset the codes. The malfunction indicator light was off when I started the car again (no surprise). I went for a 10 mile drive on various roads and neither light returned. Going to keep my appointment scheduled for the time being, but considering canceling it if the lights don't return. The battery seems to be fairly low capacity, but functioning well enough. The car autostops no problem and charges/recharges. Managed to hypermile through town and go from 43 average to 48.4 average MPG. Score! Hopefully I can keep it that high. Haven't seen that number on a regular basis since I first got the car (warmer weather).

Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

So, today my IMA light went off completely and stayed off. (As opposed to yesterday when it came back on) Just for kicks and giggles tonight I disconnected my 12v to reset the codes. The malfunction indicator light was off when I started the car again (no surprise). I went for a 10 mile drive on various roads and neither light returned. Going to keep my appointment scheduled for the time being, but considering canceling it if the lights don't return. The battery seems to be fairly low capacity, but functioning well enough. The car autostops no problem and charges/recharges. Managed to hypermile through town and go from 43 average to 48.4 average MPG. Score! Hopefully I can keep it that high. Haven't seen that number on a regular basis since I first got the car (warmer weather).
Your story is sounding identical to mine. Give it a week or two, it'll come back on. When it does, check the code. Did you also have any recent service done? Such as spark plugs, tune-up, O2 sensor?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast

The only work I know of that has been done recently is the oil change I did (0w-20), 12v battery replacement, checked the air filter (which was fine), and gave the car a few thorough cleanings. Again, I've only had the car since August and I don't know if the dealer did any work on it then. My guess is no. I think they just "inspect" the vehicle. I've driven about 4k since I bought the car.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

I missed my appointment, but have another one scheduled on the 16th. Based on the behavior of my car, I'm pretty sure it's just the battery that is the issue, but I want to double check to make sure. I'd rather be 100% certain than 90%, particularly since I am going to be driving it until spring when I can afford the replacement. I will post an update after the appointment.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

Went to the dealer today. Waited around for two hours for them to tell me that they upgraded the software and reset the lights and they didn't return on the test drive. Woo! Not sure if they'll stay off, but at least my battery gauge is reading a LOT more accurately. Turned it on to go home and it had one bar lol. Poor thing doesn't like the cold weather. Still managed to average 45 mpg so far on this tank despite the temp drop. Hopefully the battery stays strong enough to make it through the winter. That's the earliest I'd be ok with it failing

Last edited by photogrl13; 12-12-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast

Went to the dealer today. Waited around for two hours for them to tell me that they upgraded the firmware and reset the lights and they didn't return on the test drive. Woo! Not sure if they'll stay off, but at least my battery gauge is reading a LOT more accurately. Turned it on to go home and it had one bar lol. Poor thing doesn't like the cold weather. Still managed to average 45 mpg so far on this tank despite the temp drop. Hopefully the battery stays strong enough to make it through the winter. That's the earliest I'd be ok with it failing
I feel like I'm talking to myself here, as your story is identical to mine. Dealer tried the same thing with me, but my CEL has been on for 4-5 months. They did the software update, as they said I had a different battery and the last software update screwed it up. I went two blocks and the light came back on. Did you get the codes from them?

Just so you know, my codes are 1433 and 1600, basically a failure of the hybrid battery. If the light comes back on, be sure to get the codes. It can make the difference between a full battery replacement or just some sticks.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by houstoib
Just so you know, my codes are 1433 and 1600, basically a failure of the hybrid battery. If the light comes back on, be sure to get the codes. It can make the difference between a full battery replacement or just some sticks.
The lights did come back on, which is what I expected. Currently finances won't allow for any repair. My codes were the same as yours. I'm going to have to wait til spring to fix. Luckily the HCH can run without the battery unlike a Prius.

Quick Reply: Dreaded IMA Light with Malfunction Indicator Lamp

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands