HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA Battery Needs Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
rkr
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: IMA Battery Needs Replaced

Hope I'm not crashing this thread too bad - but I have a similar problem on my car with much less miles on it.

I just found out yesterday that my IMA battery is bad and they are going to replace the IMA system. I have a 2003 HCH, manual transmission, with 68K miles.

The guy at the dealer said retail it would cost 5K - I think to replace the IMA system. They are going to swap it all out. I hope they upgrade it while they are at it! Fortunately for me, I am still within my 8 year/80K hybrid components warranty. But I did not expect to have to replace the battery this soon - at all!

I live in New Mexico, which means cold winters, warm summers (I'm at high altitude, so not too hot) and lots of driving up and down mountains. I've gotten 48 mpg on average.

Anyway, I'm just trying to find out how common this is - it sounds like manual transmissions are much more likely to have this failure. I think they should extend our warranties in that case! It's not our fault for not knowing this downside with the car when we bought it, after all.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Needs Replaced

Partial text of software update is below . I do not have an answer for any battery failures but we should start the discussion with was the udate performed on the failed ima

What should you do?
Call your Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle updated. The dealer will update the software in the ECM to protect the catalytic converter and the IMA battery from damage. This work will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for half a day to allow them flexibility in scheduling.

California Residents
After doing the repair, your dealer will give you a Proof of Correction certificate. Keep this certificate for your records as proof that the product update was complete. Submit this certificate to the DMV only if they request it.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:14 AM
The New Guy

Ah, this kind of answers the question I asked in the software update thread. I guess only CA users get to have proof.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LlamaLarry
Ah, this kind of answers the question I asked in the software update thread. I guess only CA users get to have proof.
I took my car to the dealer to specifically have this update done. I did not witness it except when restarting the car all guages had unique configurations thay ihave never seen again i.e battery bars absolutely gone, and long time to recharge where upon normal function resumed. Ill look under the hood some times some mech write info under the hood at epa sticker

Old 03-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Today I broke down and purchased a Toyota Corolla, I have had no luck with Honda of North America, Local Toyota Dealer has great reputation of standing behind the product very customer service oriented unlike Local Honda Dealer and Honda Of North America, It wasn't an easy decision but I was left with an I don't care attitude from Honda.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

anyone call BS in this thread?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Enthusiast

BS? Can you elaborate MBNorCal.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 PM

I will give the poster the benifit of the doubt.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I too will beleive the poster is a truth speaker, I am curious though did you get the software updates that were sent out to prevent failures of both converter and batterY?

Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just think that deboybtd is confused as to what a car manufacturer will back up... I don't see him buying a toyota hybrid. I am guessing that had the car been a prius with same issue... toyota would be singing him the same song. Welcome to the real world.

Quick Reply: IMA Battery Needs Replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands