HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Anyone get an IMA light after update?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone get an IMA light after update?

So I have a 2007 and I had the IMA light for 6 weeks off and on. Honda stated they would only update the software and see if that fixes it.

Well - familiar story, the cars recals all the time but no IMA light and it has been over a month. It seems to be getting worse. I had 14 recals yesterday (or so) driving 50 miles or so with multiple stops. I have started getting 2 recals on the 3.5 miles to work. And after that I was just in forced regen for 4 miles on the highway as part of a recal.

I guess my question is, how bad does it have to get for the IMA light to illuminate with the 6/10 update? Has the IMA light ever gone off for anyone and, if so, what was it like before that?

I definitely feel like the car drives worse and with worse gas mileage than 3 months ago when the light first illuminated. I am now on my first sub 40 mpg tank ever (at 65k miles).

If my IMA light ever does come on, I'd love to quantify it for people so they could know how to predict the demise (in the setting of the latest software). Someone needs to come up with an appropriate stress test. Like after the recal, what will bring about another one. Will 1 full assist 0-60 do it. Will 2? Best to pop tranny into neutral on decel to eliminate recharging as a variable. How many can a new battery do?

If we could come up with a good stress test for the battery that was reproducible for people, we could come up with a predicted course that would let people know what they were up against. Something like, if a full assist 0-60 run causes a recal, you are roughly 1000 miles from IMA light illuminating. Obviously each battery is different but we should have enough to make a run at battery life predicting. This would be particularly helpful for people nearing the end of the warranty.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone get an IMA light after update?

I think part of the latest software upgrade is to disable the IMA light ...