HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Ross - I will measure it on the next go-around, but that might be right. It took only like 2 hours to drain the pack, which would be pretty sad with 1A, since these packs should be 5.5AH (with 1A, I should have gotten 5+ hours)

I stopped the load at 112V, which is actually like the 3% or less charge remaining. I was told when cycling to go below 0.9V but not below 0.8V per cell because you risk the reversal thing. (132 cells at 0.85V its 112V)

I am now doing the grid charge and see if the voltage is stable, if not I will try a faster discharge.. I can probably connect an AC heater and heat my house

Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Be careful on the heater suggestion. I don't want to lead you down the dark path. :-) Affirmative on heating your house. Just be sure you don't over draw on the current. It would be nice to know the temperature on the cells during your testing to know if something is overheating.

My Dad is visiting this week and I am postponing my testing for a week or so. I did get my connectors in from Ebay so I'll make up some leads and get ripping soon.

I look forward to hearing of your progress!

Ross

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

ok I measured the lamp load, it was only 0.5 Amps.. so like 70-80 watts

a new pack should be able to run this load for 11 hours! tomorrow I will time it and see what i get

Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Great news! The old battery is now holding charge much better. i am at 90% capacity after 2 days. I will wait a couple more days to make sure it holds. If this works out, then a full cycle may be the cure for the discharge issue.

Ross, I wonder if this is why you didn't find any issues with your cells? doesn't the IMAX do a full cycle to test the batter? that may have fixed em?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ross, you said you would list the items you bought to grid charge/reblance your battery? I would like to attempt to rebalance my cells to get rid of my recals...If Honda won't help me I'll have to help myself.

Hunter: waiting to see if you still think the full cycle fixed your issue!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Great news - I believe the combination of grid charging AND cycling my old battery has fixed the fast 'self discharge' issue. I think the battery has lost capacity (normal after almost 100k miles), but is operating normally and cells are balanced.

BEFORE:
After charging it to 169 volts, after 4 days of sitting, it drops to 155 volts (14 volt drop!)

AFTER 2 cycles and 3 grid charges:
After charging it to 169 volts, after 4 days of sitting, drops to 167 volts - 2 volt drop.

However, the grid charge didn't fix this part by itself, I had to connect light bulbs and do TWO full cycles of draining the battery to almost 0% to break up the 'chemistry' issues.

I believe the re-cals would be gone because its 'holding' its charge. I would need to confirm by putting in the vehicle.

OWL - I think the grid charge would help but to reset the battery chemistry you would also want to drain the battery to 104 volts at least one time.

Here is what I believe works:

1) Grid charge to max (186v or so)
2) Drain to almost 0% which is 104V (using two 60W bulbs in parallel)
3) Grid charge to max (186v or so)
4) Drain to almost 0% which is 104V
5) Grid charge to max (186v or so)
6) re-connect to vehicle and enjoy

Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well I would say Honda should be made aware of this possess? Good going Hunter! H

Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could this process be done while the pack is in the car Hunter? H

Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is awesome guys, great information and kudos for taking this project on, sounds like fun!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

yes this can be done 'in car', but you would need to put the equipment and wires next to, or in the car and need to power up the fan to keep the battery cool. (you would temporarily disconnect the HV cables from the car, and connect your setup).

with low current (0.5 amp discharge, 0.35A charge, you may not need a fan even in-car especially on a cool day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands