HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

I'm sorry for being away... I haven't gotten any emails on this thread... don't know why.
Same thing happens to me, I just check in about once every 15 days or so.......

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Navguy, I corrected my last to credit your effort in the trickle charger diagram. Sorry about that.

Owl, I've sent you my telephone number in a private message. Give me a call if you would like to chat about what you're doing.

Regards!

Ross

Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Navguy, I corrected my last to credit your effort in the trickle charger diagram. Sorry about that.
Cool, thanks!!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hey everyone! I am back in town for a few days...and then I'll be gone for 6 months...My digikey parts are here and I have obtained 25 feet of 16 AWG wire from Home Depot and found an old power cable upstairs that I'm not using...

Will update everyone if I find time to get to it...

Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Ok! Hooked everything up! It didn't take as long as I thought it would. I measured the voltage coming out of my charger and it measured 175 V. I hooked it up to my car battery and flipped the switch on the battery, plugged in my charger, and it's going! I hooked up my multimeter and it showed 160 V. I had a sudden curiosity of how much current was flowing and went to take the switch on the multimeter to a DC current setting, at that moment not remembering that you have to measure current in series with the flow, not "across" like you do with voltage.

Well, I saw a spark right as I plugged the wire into the multimeter...Now when I take the setting to voltage it reads less than 100 V...I really hope that the multimeter or the fuse got fried now causing my multimeter to not function properly and that I didn't instantly discharge my battery 100 V, haha. The fuse doesn't look blown, however...

I plan on continuing the charge and hoping for the best. Maybe I'll stop at walmart tomorrow and buy a new multimeter. The one I had was a junky analog one, anyway.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Tight Wad

I still charge my battery daily before I go anywhere. I let it charge for 20 minutes or so at 1 amp, and if I have time I reduce the power to 300mA. I set the voltage to 200vdc but it always seems to settle at about 186vdc.

Still waiting for Ross and Hunter to put their old batteries back in so we can see if they had any success charging their old batteries.

Last edited by jeep_daddy; 12-22-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 AM

The charger is humming a lot louder this morning than last night...that's normal I hope? A quick check around the web says humming is perfectly normal for LED drivers, which is where the noise is coming from.

Last edited by owlmaster08; 12-22-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Battery back in the car after about 18 hours of charging...it started with a SOC of 0 bars when I first put it in. It force charged it up to 3 bars and then after a little bit jumped to full (like a recal) and stayed there for a long time, and after some heavy assist dropped to 7 bars and stayed there even longer. Eventually the SOC dropped to mid range and was there for the rest of my drive. With the amount of assist I was using it would've easily had recalled several times before I had charged it. It's too early to say that "everything is good" because it was only a 10 mile drive but it is super crazy apparent that things are better. Another thing is I had a check engine light but after restarting the car twice it is gone.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That sounds encouraging, but 10 miles is not much of a test!
Jonathan -How are you liking your HSH. What kind of FE are you getting with it in normal driving? H

Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 AM

25 more miles of short stops, similar results. Battery is hanging out in the 3-5 bar range, so low, and using forced regen to stay in the middle. I have no idea if things are all acting right but I still have seen 0 recals after the first auto correct from the charge! I know this is different as I was seeing a recal after almost every car start and another recal at LEAST every 10 miles, if not more often as I had seen as many as 4 recals over 10 miles. It's still too early for me to declare overall victory, but I do know I have succeeded to some degree!

As far as the HSH...I haven't done any road trips since the new updates or since it got cold but earlier this year I'd get around 45 mpg going PSL on the interstate, closer to 50 mpg when going 5 mph under PSL, and closer to 40 mpg when "following traffic." My wife has been getting a pretty consistent 35 mpg for her short trips around town and running errands and stuff. Being a larger car it takes a little more to get it going, but once it's going it is awesome. We both really like the car and get comments on it all the time when we take it places. People are surprised when they find out it's a Hyundai.

Unfortunately this is most likely my last post until the summer. Thank you everyone for all your support and helping me do what I hope fixed my car.

Quick Reply: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands