HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Braking Noise

Old 08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Braking Noise

I used to hear a similar noise when braking, and it freaked me out a little at first. Seems to have gone away now that you mention it (bought mine about 5 months ago).

Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast

My car has the same brake "fart" as well! I think it has something to do with the auto-stop function. I thought it was caused by a vacuum line or hydraulics. Please post how your repair goes and what the cause/solution is - I want to fix mine too!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

I take back what I said earlier. My car still farts, too, but they are less pronounced than before. Guess I just stopped noticing after a while.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Hyper Hybrid Dude

Never noticed honking sound until after 6k miles. Now it happens whenever I quickly press on the brake pedel. I think it is getting worse. Will inform service dept. when car is due for service in a few months.

Still having issues with door handles being difficult to open.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have a theory! I haven't noticed this "honk" type sound, since I was so used to it! My last vehicle, an Isuzu Trooper, performed this same "honk" with the first brake application of each ride. It's a perfectly normal function of the ABS system. I noticed the exact same noise today in my HCHII. Sounds just as you describe... a honk or a "fart"!!! My theory is that it is just a function of the ABS system. It's just a normal initialization process.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I got my car back (after the "servo set" replacement) a little over a week ago. I drove it on a 800 mile trip and didn't hear much "honking." But, when I took it into SF last weekend I heard it very often. So, I took it back into the service department for another round of troubleshooting.

One of the techs believes it has something to do with the new braking system on these cars. In his words, the braking system is new and doesn't use the vacuum pressure from the engine, since it can't rely on this pressure when the auto-stop engages. The result is that the car has to use a different system for applying extra pressure for power-braking. The tech made some comment about the master cylinder being much larger on this car than other normal cars.

Anyway, while the tech was deep into his lecture on the all-new braking system (during our road test) the car started "honking" like crazy. It even "honked" once when he was taking his foot OFF the brake (so both honking while applying and releasing pressure). The lecture got less enthusiastic as the car made more "honking" noises.

The saga continues. I'll post more when I learn more for the service people and engineers. My car remains in the shop.

Also, I should mention that other people have started bringing their cars into this shop with the same noise. Hopefully Honda will do something about whatever is making this noise.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Enjoying my hybrid

I just experienced my first "brake fart" today while running some errands. It didn't seem to affect brake performance, although the sound kind of caught me by surprise. I have about 1500 miles on my HCHII, but have not heard it before. I will try to listen for it more and if it becomes common, I will take it to the shop. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for keeping us informed on the status of your repair. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to pinpoint the problem. I have a feeling that a lot of HCHII owners will want to repair this, once they realize that the noise isn't coming from their passengers! (maybe we shouldn't fix this so we can always "blame it on the car" )

Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

My vehicle makes the same noise. I wouldn't be concerned with it. Mine seems to occur when I brake harder.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Energy Independence

I noticed the brake "fart" also. It has happened several times. I first thought the pattern might be the FIRST relatively HARD braking you do, but now I'm not so sure.
At any rate, mine is inconsistent. Some days, I hear nothing, others I hear it just a time or two.
It almost souds like a dry air-piston-shock trying to compress. Maybe we need a drop of lubricant somewhere in the braking system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Braking Noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands