HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Car won't start (bad 12v battery)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Car won't start (bad 12v battery)

So I had my first real issue with my '06 HCH. Yesterday I arrived at a client early and turned the car to Acc and listened to the PCMCIA card with music. About 10 min later the Nav screen and Temp screen went blank and the sound stopped. When I tried to restart the car the dash illumination flickered and I could hear the starter making a clicking noise (the kind it makes when you have a dead battery).

About an hour later I started the car and it worked. I thought all was well. Another hour later as I was leaving, it would not start again. I jumped it from my co-worker's car. Check Engine Light was on for a day but my Mechanic said it will go out after a day of driving (it did).

I got home and put the car in Park and revved to about 1,800 RPM to charge the IMA battery to full capacity. I left it until today.

I left for a client and everything was fine. When I left 30 min after arriving at the client I was finishing my notes and had the radio on. After 10 min it shut off and the car wouldn't start. All fuses for IMA and Fuel Pump, etc. were good. Argh. AAA had to bail me out this time.

I called the local dealer (Shadyside Honda in Pittsburgh, PA) and they fit me in just 2 hrs later and I am waiting for them to finish (thanks to them for the free wireless Internet also).

They said my 12v battery is bad. Really? Just 2-2.5 yrs old? who else has had their 12v battery die early? Anymore they generally last 4-6 yrs.

I just hit 58,000 miles in 26 months (2,230 mi / mo avg). Even made a 500-mile trip from Outer Banks, NC to home a few weeks back at 54 mpg too!

They said it is covered under warranty and are also correcting two earlier Safety Bulletins. Hopefully it will all be solved.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car won't start (bad 12v battery)

Well it is not much of a battery! Very small. I have a 2006 model and the motor battery has never started the car. Its going to scare hell out of me, when I hear the starter for the first time.H

Old 10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Flash,

Did you notice any strange SOC behavior in the weeks leading up to the 12V battery failure? I recall reading something about the SOC varying wildly when the 12V battery fails. Thanks

Eric

Old 10-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Second that, flash... anything strange with the SoC before the 12V went? I've had at least five recals in the past month, when usually it's one recal every four or five months.