HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CD-RW + Navi System

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default CD-RW + Navi System

Hi,

New HCHII owner here, and I wanted to see if anyone else had any issues playing MP3s off of CD-RW disks in their Navi. When I playback the disc, the first few tracks are fine, but then I experience loud clicking and hiss noises from the speakers. When I play the same tracks off the CD on my PC, they play fine. I have tried reburning the disk using DAO instead of TAO and at 16X instead of 24X, but to no avail. Any suggestions? I searched the forums for CD-RW, but did not get any hits. I am using Memorex "Ultra Speed" CD-RWs.

Thanks,
FunkyBrunk

Old 08-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CD-RW + Navi System

CD-RW discs are very low reflectivity. Use regular CD-R discs and you should be fine. Considering a CD-R goes for about 15 cents nowadays, it's not even worth it to me to use CD-RW anymore.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I only use the write-once discs. I've never had a problem playing mp3's in the HCHII with them. Using the NAVI's card reader slot with an SD card, on the other hand, causes a LOT of problems for me!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:43 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your feedback.

So I take it that no one has had much success w/ cd-rws? I guess I can go back to using cd-rs, but I kinda wanted to limit the amount of cds floating around in my car and "reduce, reuse and recycle". I will continue to experiment with RWs and if I find a media brand and burning method that works, I will post it here.

On another note, do all SD cards in general have issues? I am thinking of picking up a 2gb for cheap. Right now I am using a ProDuo Memory stick and a CompUSA 5 in 1 reader w/ no problems.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I don't waste my time with CD-RW's any more. The CD-R's are dirt cheap and not as suseptical to heat degradation the dyes in the CD-RW's are.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by funkybrunk
On another note, do all SD cards in general have issues? I am thinking of picking up a 2gb for cheap. Right now I am using a ProDuo Memory stick and a CompUSA 5 in 1 reader w/ no problems.
I have used 2 diff branded SD cards and a reader with no problems. Even in the intense heat, they worked without a hiccup.

Keep your receipts, just in case.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As I just posted on another thread, I have a Sandisk 5 in 1 reader and five SD cards to choose from. Only ONE of the SD cards works. Unfortunately, it's only 256mb. NOTE: All of the cards work just fine in the same reader when in my laptop. I've tried various formats (FAT, FAT8, FAT16) and such... just no luck!

Even with the working SD card, I've had problems such as NAVI long boot times and lockups requiring a reboot (shut off the car and restart!). Just too much of a pain in the rear, so I pulled the reader out of the slot and keep in in the center console... just in case!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

It may be possible that the problem is not with the SD cards but maybe the card reader. The CompUsa reader I got was only $20, so at least it could be a cheap fix. I have had no problems with the card reader (so far).

Old 08-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Energy Independence

I bought the cheapest SD-only adapter (Memorex, I think) I could find at Fry's. $2.99 or $3.99. I am using a 1Gb SanDisk SD card. Haven't used it much, but have had NO problems to-date.