HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Colby, are you using e-85?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Colby, are you using e-85?

I am just wondering you have the e-85 in your sig....I didn't think the HCHII was approved for e-85....I am using it in my truck, it is approved for e-85 & IN MY OPINION it seems to run more smothly on it but the mileage....well It is so bad already it doesn't make much difference however, I don't really drive it that much and a tank lasts 2-3 months easly....just for hauling & picking up stuff then to work about every 10 days to keep stuff moving.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Colby, are you using e-85?

I run E85. I installed a basic conversion kit. The millage is worse, but the cost per mile is about the same as with regular gas.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-should-16411/

I think I need to find a smaller E85 image for my sig tho.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Colby -

Where'd you get the conversion kit, and how difficult was it to install?

Also, it allows you to burn E10 through E85?

Just trying to get some more information. Not sure that any stations around here offer anything other than the E10 blend, but it sure wouldn't hurt to be more flexible in what I can run!

Matt

Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Ethanol is Worse Than Fossil Fuels Says Science Magazine
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080222....ience-magazine

Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM

There are a lot of different views on E85. The main issue being corn consumption. I really do not know what is true and what is false, because I have read so many different statistics. I ways watching a conference on biofuels and they are working on getting ethanol from algae, which can make much more ethanol, can be grown in tanks anywhere (not just fertile land) and doesn't need to be distilled. Buying Ethanol puts money towards the research to create these new biofuels, like buying a hybrid helps fund hybrid research. I like buying a clean renewable fuel, and hope that they can soon create a better way of making it.

Matt: I wouldn't get the conversion kit if you don't have any E85 stations near you. It would be a waste of money and can possibly void your warranty. You can get them from a few websites, such as fullflexint.com and flextek.com. I got mine from Full Flex International.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The article in "Science" is junk and has been refuted by every reputable organization out there. It is similar to the article "Dust to Dust" that says the Prius is worse for the environment than a Hummer. Nonsense.
People emotionally involved in something twist the facts.

To make a Prius worse than a Hummer, you must:
Assume a Hummer lasts 400,000 miles, and a Prius lasts 100,000 miles.
You must assume that none of the Pruis is recycled at 100,000 miles and is simply dumped in a landfill, but the Hummer is recycled. It's stuff like this that really irks me.

If you look at ethanol and the very worst possible case of every small detail, then yes, ethanol would appear worse than gasoline. However, every manufacturer strives to make ethanol in the BEST possible way, not the WORST possible way. And to date, no forrests have been cut down to make ethanol. And if you did, the land would not be good for growing corn anyhow. Junk. That article is nothing but junk. That article was about "what if" not "what is".

On the other points:
I use the same "converter" in my FEH and it works great. The car has more power, measured as lower RPM at all speeds, and noticably lower RPM on hills. However the MPG drop exactly matches the cost drop for me in the corn belt. ( best case ) Those of you who live outside the "heartland" will pay more per mile for ethanol.

I pay 9 cents per mile for gas, and 9 cents per mile for ethanol.
As we move to more and more different fuel blends ( biodiesel is another ) we need to change our paradigm of reporting.

MPG becomes useless, and is really, useless right now, since there are 130 blends of gasoline used in the U.S. today.

CPM or cost per mile is more useful these days.
-John

Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hey how long have you guys been using the converter and do you notice any side effects. Who installed it in your vehicle. My HCH II is still under warranty so I am thinking I should wait. E-85 is about $0.40 cheaper and on top of that in my state I would not have to pay the $0.17 per gallon tax.

Anthony

Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It's just a computer chip that snaps between the fuel injector and fuel injector control wire with OEM snap on plugs.
There is no physical modification to the car.

If you can connect 4 strings of christmas lights, you can do this yourself.

I have used E85 in my non-flex fuel hybrid for 1625 miles.
Starts fine at 20 degrees, and runs very, very well.
( lower MPG is the only side effect )

Old 03-12-2008, 09:23 AM

I also installed mine myself. I have been running E85 for about 500 mi. If I encounter an engine problem, I can remove the conversion kit in about five minutes, and fill up with regular gas. There will be little or no evidence that I was running E85.
John: I don't think that cost per mile will be more for E85 than regular gas for me. Here are the prices as of this morning: 87: 3.89 89: 3.99 91: 4.09 Diesel: 4.19. E85 tends to hover around 2.99.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
It's just a computer chip that snaps between the fuel injector and fuel injector control wire with OEM snap on plugs.
There is no physical modification to the car.

If you can connect 4 strings of christmas lights, you can do this yourself.

I have used E85 in my non-flex fuel hybrid for 1625 miles.
Starts fine at 20 degrees, and runs very, very well.
( lower MPG is the only side effect )
I wish you'd keep your Global Warming skeptic sig up, just so we know who we are getting advice from.

Also, if you want to read into controversies of ethanol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#Controversy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Colby, are you using e-85?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands