HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Drop in mileage with new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Drop in mileage with new tires

I replaced my OEM tires and now I'm getting 5-7 mpg less mileage. The tires are Goodyear Viva. Anybody else had this issue or a better tire selection for the future?

John P.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Drop in mileage with new tires

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop
I replaced my OEM tires and now I'm getting 5-7 mpg less mileage. The tires are Goodyear Viva. Anybody else had this issue or a better tire selection for the future?

John P.
Please google HCH II tire recommendations -- there are plenty of threads on this forum as well on cleanmpg.com that already address this.

In short, the OEM tires are low-rolling resistance tires while the Viva you got is not (AFAIK). Which means the 5-7 mpg drop is to be expected.

PS: In my opinion the GoodYear Viva is not a good tire at all, period (apart from being not low rolling resistance) -- I had it on my other car, and it loses air so fast compared to Michelins I had ... and developed cracks on the side of the tire wall after a couple of years. Sorry to bring you the bad news.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

Look @ tirerack.com and Consumerreport.org for reviews on this topic
and others ! Interesting

Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

When tires are new, they are a little more sticky and thus the mileage drop, but as others have said, choosing a LRR tire is important to keeping up your mileage.

I have Michelin Pilot Exalto tires that currently have 40K miles on them with half their tread gone. Those tires increased my MPG by about 3 mpg, after an initial "break-in" drop in mileage over the Dunlops that came with the car.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

i went with the goodyear assurance fuel max and the MPGs are way down compared to last summer. I used to do 55 to 60 without problems in the summer. With the new tires, i cannot even get close to 55MPG... For this summer i am averaging around 48-52 mpg

Traction is supposed to b better with the goodyear tires compared to OEM. Thats the payoff

Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here's a TireRack review/test of various LRR contenders:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast

Switched to FuelMax tires also...lost 4-5MPG instantly.
I have 20,000 miles on the tires now and MPG is SLOWLY going up to 41-42 range.
Grip is far better than OEM though.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustman
Grip is far better than OEM though.
Fully agree...oem lrr tires had poor grip and were completely rubbish in the winter, posing a complete safety hazard in my opinion. After lots of agonizing research, i went with the Michelin Hydroedge's before they turned "green" in their marketing efforts (they were already a "green" tire) since their resistance factor was amongst the lowest, and still lost approx 3 mpg off the bat. Totally acceptable loss in my book though for safety's sake.

In the winter I run a dedicated snow tire because of the snow and ice I experience, that drops another 3-4mpg off of that because of how soft they are when they are new. There was noticeably less braking effort and therefore less regen capabilities and more effort to keep going with these tires when new, although that resistance diminished over the last three years as they hardened up and wore down. But I can forge 3-4 inches of snow without phasing my little car, and can stop and go on ice, which is a good thing in my region!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Mechanic

I've got 215/45/17 Michelin performance tires and I get an average 32-34 in town and a solid 44+ on the Hwy….. Which trounces my old celica's 24/29 lol! I know I'm breaking a cardinal rule, but my losses haven't been so great.

So sure i might be able to squeeze a couple more mpg in there but then I'd look like a hybrid and corner much worse.