HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Everything you need to know to DIY a CVT fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Resident ICE Wizard
Default Re: Everything you need to know to DIY a CVT fluid Change

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Superjay, I think the first gen Civic Hybrid CVT was somewhat different, more difficult to drain and fill. This is just from what I've read in forums, maybe here. Maybe your dealership is thinking of first gen Civic CVT? People were saying they drained CVT fluid, and then couldn't bust loose some fill bolt near the top of the CVT. The gen II CVT is not like that.
This could be, but he is a pretty good friend, and is intimately familiar with the gen II, he has one. I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to snow me... I get all kinds of free services from him and the dealership often... I trade them for Audio equipment a lot of the time.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

All said, I've changed fluid on our HCHII twice now, following the usual method for refill: through the dipstick opening. That's the Service Manual instruction as well, and I've done it that way on various Honda's for nearly 30 years now.

The first time, I was wondering how the heck you're supposed to undo the drain bolt, since it was round and this small square hole. I actually called the dealership to see if they might have the special socket that was obviously required, and they patiently told me their mechanic use a 3/8" drive socket.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast

Just completed the CVT change on a 2007 HCH that I picked up a week ago (along with oil change, and air filter change). Thanks a lot for the instructions, the job was straight forward with the right information. FYI I used Rhino ramps, and completed the change with just swinging down the front portion of the undercover.

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
I actually called the dealership to see if they might have the special socket that was obviously required, and they patiently told me their mechanic use a 3/8" drive socket.
And Mendel... I would have sat there scratching my head for a few minutes thinking about that plug too if I hadn't read your post first! Thanks!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just replaced my cvt fluid today. Thank you for the pictures. The whole process was much easier then I ever expected. I can not believe that the dealer wanted to charge me $100.00 for the job... my cost was 18.00.

Thanks
Brian

Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Congratulations! If you haven't already done one, you'll find an engine oil change is very similar, no big deal.

Actually, this is from the Owner's Manual, not sure why I posted it I have a pdf of that manual, which comes in very handy. I don't recall where I found it, but now all you can seem to find is the "linked" pdf, which entails snagging multiple files.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 02-28-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

I am having problems checking the fluid level of my transmission. If I follow th instructions in the manual, it tells me that after the car is warmed up, to turn it off for 60 seconds then check the level. When I did this my level was well below the bottom of the low level on the dipstick. So I added one quart as it says it takes 3, figuring I would be well within spec. Now when I follow the same procedure I get the level measured to the letter O in the word HOT on the dipstick, which is above the high level.

My questions are:

1) When is the proper time to check? While engine running, 60 seconds after or when cold (using the cold measure on the dipstick)?
2) If the fluid is above the high mark, is this bad?

Thanks,
mhaven

Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM

My fluid in the CVT is always in about the middle cold or hot. Its allways the same. Hal

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

Well I drained some back out. Now my level is around the middle for both hot and cold side. I was reading around that too much tranny fluid is bad for the transmission. Something about bubbling and wrecking the seals

Thought I would not take the chance.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Yes a good plan, better safe than sorry Hal

Old 03-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Did you have the little dot facing the left side of the car, looking out from the driverside.

3 quarts out and 3 in, and mine was right on.

Brian

Quick Reply: Everything you need to know to DIY a CVT fluid Change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands