HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HID/Xenon conversion using drop-in replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HID/Xenon conversion using drop-in replacement?

Recently I have been giving more consideration into Xenon/HID lighting. A search of Greenhybrid seems to indicate that many of the people who have done this before have gone the route of dropping in Xenon bulbs into the car's stock reflectors. I've heard this can cause glare and possibly blind other drivers, so I'd like to to use the bulbs in tandem with HID projectors, which is the recommended way of installing HID lighting. Using HID projectors will also result in a brighter beam of light.

Last night I found what looks like a drop-in HID projector replacement for the 2006-2008 Civics:

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=5153
Another one, on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-0...spagenameZWDVW

I also found a company that will perform a HID conversion if you mail them your OEM headlights: http://www.customlightz.com

Has anyone gone this route when installing HID lighting in their HCHII? If so, any words on the quality of the drop-in replacement?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: HID/Xenon conversion using drop-in replacement?

The projector lens that you show is not designed for HID lamps, and the reviews of those that have tried to use it with HID lamps has not been very good.

The group that does custom retrofits seems to have a good reputation for quality work and uses Honda projector lamp assemblies that are adapted for the Civic headlight assembly. As with any custom "build to order" product, this solution is 8-10 times more expensive than the HID conversion kits, while only 10-15% more effective than those kits. These lamps do provide the best results, but not $800-$900 better then they cost over the conversion kits.

I have a conversion kit in my HCHII that I have been using for almost 2 years now with no problems what so ever. This issue of glare for oncoming drivers is much over hyped, and is a function of 20% headlight reflector/projector design and 80% headlight alignment calibration. I have never had any oncoming traffic "flash" me or indicate that they were being impaired by these headlights, and I have actually tested it by driving another car oncoming to the HCHII. All that is necessary to achieve a good result is proper alignment of the headlamp assemblies.

I recommend the conversion approach as being the best value with great results.

Last edited by Orient Express; 03-24-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

What makes you say it is only 10-15% more effective to use a projector? Not arguing here, just trying to decide which route I should go with HID lighting. I've heard that a halogen reflector is not designed for HIDs, and will cause a lot of glare. Is there a sharp cutoff at the top of the light beam with your HID conversion kit?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by pagemap
What makes you say it is only 10-15% more effective to use a projector? Not arguing here, just trying to decide which route I should go with HID lighting. I've heard that a halogen reflector is not designed for HIDs, and will cause a lot of glare. Is there a sharp cutoff at the top of the light beam with your HID conversion kit?
I say that from experience because I have cars with both types of lighting systems.

Again from experience, I can say conclusively that the glare issue is much overrated and is a function of headlight alignment. I have had glare issues with a car of mine with OEM HID projector headlights because of improper aiming.

The top cutoff for the HID conversion, while not as sharp, is more than adequate for addressing this issue.

Here is an example of reflector vs projector beam pattern cross-section at 45 ft.

The HCHII stock Headlight assemblies with a $132 HID conversion kit

A certain German sports car of mine with $4K bi-xenon headlight projectors

Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The projector lens that you show is not designed for HID lamps, and the reviews of those that have tried to use it with HID lamps has not been very good.

The group that does custom retrofits seems to have a good reputation for quality work and uses Honda projector lamp assemblies that are adapted for the Civic headlight assembly. As with any custom "build to order" product, this solution is 8-10 times more expensive than the HID conversion kits, while only 10-15% more effective than those kits. These lamps do provide the best results, but not $800-$900 better then they cost over the conversion kits.

I have a conversion kit in my HCHII that I have been using for almost 2 years now with no problems what so ever. This issue of glare for oncoming drivers is much over hyped, and is a function of 20% headlight reflector/projector design and 80% headlight alignment calibration. I have never had any oncoming traffic "flash" me or indicate that they were being impaired by these headlights, and I have actually tested it by driving another car oncoming to the HCHII. All that is necessary to achieve a good result is proper alignment of the headlamp assemblies.

I recommend the conversion approach as being the best value with great results.
SO, did you have to re-aim your headlight assemblies or adjust the beams downward to prevent blinding other drivers? Aren't self-leveling HIDs law in some places? Just curious, as I'm interested in this as well.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I did check the alignment of the lamps using a beam leveling measurement tool, and they did not need any adjustment. Depending on how you typically load your car, and how much you weigh, your car's situation may be different.

On the issue of auto-leveling, yes here in the US the NHTSA requires cars with HID lamps to have auto-leveling systems and to have washing systems.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
On the issue of auto-leveling, yes here in the US the NHTSA requires cars with HID lamps to have auto-leveling systems and to have washing systems.
So our HIDs are illegal? That's weird that washing systems are required.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Aftermarket HID retrofit kits do not comply with current NHTSA regulations for automotive lighting.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

You do not need an auto-leveling system or a washer for HID's in the U.S. Otherwise my S2000 would be Illegal from the factory since it came with niether.

In Europe I believe you need both.