HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast
Question Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

I am looking into buying a HCH or similar type vehicle.
However I was wondering if these cars are capable of mounting a class 1 or 2 hitch. I need to use this for my Hitch mounted Cargo carrier to haul some stuff. Carries weigh only about 60lbs haul 100-200lbs max.

Any advice would be welcome.

RookieJR

Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

There are hitches you can install.

Tongue weight cannot exceed 200 lbs - including carrier.

NOTE!!! The mere presence of a trailer hitch may cause a dealership to void certain parts of your warranty.

The Owner's Manual specifically states that towing with your HCH is not allowed. The weak point it the CVT.

I have looked at hitch mounted cargo carriers myself and the carrier was often itself 100 lbs.

Sorry, nf

Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You might want to locate a used Honda Accord Hybrid. It is powered by a v6 engine and could haul a small trailer.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM

You may want to try a set of Yakima racks and a good Yakima roof box. It will effect your FE, but when you are on holidays the extra storage is great. I pack my kayak and a box. Its a good system. You can also lock the racks and the box.H

Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
You may want to try a set of Yakima racks and a good Yakima roof box. It will effect your FE, but when you are on holidays the extra storage is great. I pack my kayak and a box. Its a good system. You can also lock the racks and the box.H
I started Building my own rack and box on Yakima's website and it quickly got over $1100!! I'm a little in disbelief. Wow!

Maybe I should check Ebay or some WalMart knockoff.

nf

Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Hi noflash; Yes they are expensive but real good quality and warrantied as long as you own them. I have the boat loader[tadem kayak] which aids me loading the kayak myself. The air deflector as the rack was noisey at speeds. And a long narrow box with built in clamps and lock with hyd. shocks on the door. And the racks for the kayak. All for about $1000. Very easy to remove and re-install. Its just like the car, real good quality, and I like that.
cheers,H