HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light

Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light

Just bought a brand new 2006 Civic Hybrid last week. I put about 400 miles on it in the past few days. Today, at the end of a 75 mile trip (thankfully on the way home) the IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light went on at the same time.

Seeing a couple of other posts on this forum about this issue is starting to really depress me. I thought this would be a great way to cut costs with a long commute, now it feels like an albatross around my neck.

Anyone know Honda's policy on issues like this? Even if they can fix it, I'd just like to hand them back the keys. With a 150 mile daily commute, I don't think I'll be able to trust this vehicle.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light

Take it to the dealer. Odds are you just got a bad battery cell. They'll be able to order a new one, and if they've got another 06HCH on the lot, possibly swap out that one and send you on your way. It happens every now and then that a bad cell gets loose, no big deal. I'm just shy of 9000mi on mine now, and apart from slight spoiler rubbing (see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/calling-all-hch-ii-owners-please-check-around-your-decklid-spoiler.10299.html?page=5&pp=10), I haven't had a single complaint yet.

Last edited by mmrmnhrm; 10-08-2006 at 06:25 PM. Reason: repetitive and redundant word verbiage
Old 10-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast

448 miles. Anyone else have such a poor performance?

Yea sure, another HCHII on the lot... right. How about a Chevy Aveo (yuck) that they had me get from Enterprise Rental Car and for which I had to pay for the insurance. The dealer didn't even want to give me a "loaner".

Not impressed by the car. Not impressed by the dealer.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

I strongly suggest escalating this to your regional American Honda office. This dealer is not treating you with the courtesy everybody else with this problem has received, and if they're not covering insurance, might be breaking the terms of the warranty as well.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by bigb_1925
448 miles. Anyone else have such a poor performance?

Yea sure, another HCHII on the lot... right. How about a Chevy Aveo (yuck) that they had me get from Enterprise Rental Car and for which I had to pay for the insurance. The dealer didn't even want to give me a "loaner".

Not impressed by the car. Not impressed by the dealer.
The problem you report is not that common at all considering the number of 06 model units produced over the last year.

Please note that your vehicle was built/assembled from the same production pool as were ours and by now the manufacturing process has proven itself with much better than average quality being reported. As a result, most of us are pretty confident and happy with our vehicles but statistical failures remain a fact of life in anything with technology in it - let alone something as sophisticated as our cars.

In your case, what is important is that the dealership you deal with does its best not to erode your confidence in your vehicle. It appears they are failing miserably at that.

As Chris stated, please escalate the issue to Honda's regional or national office. I would also suggest you visit another Honda dealership if that is possible at all.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds like a lousy dealer. One week in you're having problems, and they aren't treating you with respect? That's not good, not good at all. If you feel like posting the name of the dealer here, you should probably do it, just so people know what to expect there. It isn't badmouthing them if it's true.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

I'm just past 21,000 miles. My car is flawless.
You obviously got a bad one and a bad dealer to boot.
Get on the phone to Honda right away...

Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem, but happened at ~2500 miles. I do not believe that Honda was ever able to fix the problem with this vehicle correctly. They finally replaced it and I have about 6000 miles on the new one and no problems besides the ones people are complaining about, rattles, poor radio reception, mileage, XM, etc.

I would highly recommend that you call Honda Corporate and report your problem.

Here is my post, hope you do not have all the problems I did with getting the car fixed and then finally replaced.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...l?page=6&pp=10

I have received a couple of emails and seen other posts, most of them have been bad batteries. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the insights. I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigb_1925
Thanks for the insights. I'll keep you posted.
No oun intended?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands