HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Jerk when starting and no electric motor noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Jerk when starting and no electric motor noise

Hi there -- i have an 06 HCH with about 65,000 miles. I love the car, but there are three irritating things i notice with it. Wondering if anyone has thoughts/advice.
1. When starting off from a stop, the car sort of lurches forward slightly and there is a lug on the engine -- as if were starting out in 2nd gear in a manual transmission car -- or let out the clutch fast. This is accompanied by a slight shudder. Then it evens out.
2. When i slow down for a red light and almost come to a complete stop, but then accelerate again when light turns green, there is often a jerking/sticking sensation. It again feels like i let out the clutch really fast in a manual transmission. This happens even if i begin accelerating again only slightly.
3. I no longer hear the electric motor noise. I feel like i used to hear it (that high pitched whine). Instead, when i accelerate and the RPMs go up around or past 3,000, i hear what sounds like a mild version of a diesel engine, if you can imagine that. My girlfriend's sister has an '08 HCH and i can hear the electric motor noise clearly in hers. It sounds completely different. (i also don't notice the jerking/lug thing when starting from a stop or at low speeds).

Additional info: i had the transmission fluid replaced last year as part of regularly scheduled maintenance. This had no effect on any of these behaviors. The dealership has said they don't notice anything abnormal.

The other thing that puzzles me is that i drive like a grandma to get good MPG. My GF's sister drives like a maniac. Yet we both are getting around the same long-time average MPG (40 MPG). I don't know what mileage hers is but my odometer long-time average is based on about 10,000 miles because i accidentally reset it one time. My MPG for my current tank of gas is about 46.

any thoughts appreciated

thanks!

steffen

Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jerk when starting and no electric motor noise

My 2006 is very smooth, but can be jerky if I hurry things along or hit the throttle as its going into auto-stop. It wouldn't hurt to have it checked out just to be on the safe side. I have been getting some big numbers with mine of late. Some trips in the 70's.
Cheers;

H

Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM

We get a bit of lurch, just every once in a while, often when taking a very slow corner and then step on the gas. I think the software has a hand in controlling a lot of behaviours, and it just trips up every so often. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, or more frequent, in our case.

The only time I notice an "electric" noise is during decelleration, when the motor is behaving as a generator.

As far as behaviour change, have you had any software updates? That could be behind it.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Watch the RPMS at stop- are they going up and down continually?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM

My rpm is normal. No up and down. H