HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Misbehaving Gear Selection/Brake Indicator Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Misbehaving Gear Selection/Brake Indicator Lights

When I was driving the other day, the "Brake System Indicator" light came on and stayed on during the remainder of my trip. The next time I drove my car, both the "Brake System Indicator" and "Parking Brake and Brake System Indicator" lights came on and stayed on for the remainder of the trip. Also during this trip, the light that indicates which gear you are currently in (ie Drive, Neutral) blinked continuously. And finally, the most recent time I drove my car, all indicator lights behaved normally. (Despite the brake indicator lights appearing during the first two trips, the brakes seemed to be operating correctly).

Now for a few questions...

1. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
2. The first significant snowfall of the year just occurred (followed by some melting), so is it possible that some ice and/or snow interferred with the sensors?
3. I found potential explanations for the appearance of the brake indicators lights in the driver's manual, but does anyone know what a blinking gear selection light means?
4. Since I had no problems during my most recent drive, is it safe to assume that these were false alarms? (My logic is that if there was a real problem, the lights would not go away until the problem was repaired).

FYI:
Brake System Indicator:
On U.S. models, it appears as a light reading "Brake System"; on Canadian Models it appears as an Amber exclamation mark surrounded by a circle in parentheses.

Parking Brake and Brake System Indicator:
On U.S. models, it appears as a light reading "Brake"; on Canadian Models it appears as an Red exclamation mark surrounded by a circle in parentheses.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Misbehaving Gear Selection/Brake Indicator Lights

I believe you may have an intermittent problem with any of the following:

-The gauge control harness and the ending connectors - particularly the 36P connector.
-The main gauge may have an internal contact issue (perhaps related to the assembly process).
-The MICU module and its contacts.

To resolve this, I would set an appointment with your dealership. They should be able to do a full MICU test which includes a physical inspection of the above items. You may need to leave the car there for the day.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I just remembered that there is a self diagnostics mode for the main gauge panel that you can try. Do the following to evoke the test:

1- press and hold the SEL/RESET button
2- turn the headlights ON
3- Turn the ignition ON to (II)
4- within 5 seconds turn the headlights OFF, then ON, then OFF
within 5 seconds release the SEL/RESET button, then push and release the button 3 times repeatedly.
5- use the SEL button the iterate through the tests.

If you turn the igntion Switch to OFF then the test ends.

Good luck !!

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-02-2006, 02:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

You forgot something Santos, while following this procedure you should be whisseling Dixie backwards! shees why not a test option in a simple menu.

Overhere a lot of kids ride scooters (mopeds) these 50 cc critters reach 60 mph without any mods but then the plug their gameboys into them and they can alter almost al map settings!!!!

Why isn't this possible in a 24.000 dollar car?

Old 12-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by BlueVFRank
Overhere a lot of kids ride scooters (mopeds) these 50 cc critters reach 60 mph without any mods but then the plug their gameboys into them and they can alter almost al map settings!!!!

Why isn't this possible in a 24.000 dollar car?

That's the nature of things for most of us:
Engineers are always willing but accountants and product marketing groups are not.

I'll just leave it at that.

Cheers;

MSantos