HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Normal driver MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Technology Junkie
Default Normal driver MPGs

This question is directed to owners with normal driving habits (please no hyper-milers). What kinda of MPGs are you experiencing on interstates, state highways, county roads, mountainous roads, etc. ?

My normal daily commute is winding hilly but not mountainous roads, with posted speed limits between 25 & 45 and very few stops. I accelerate quickly and always try to maintain or slightly exceed the speed limit (except in residential areas). I use the back side of hills to help me maintain the speed limit for up the upcoming hill. I have been averaging 56 MPG for my daily commutes.

Using this same driving style on the interstates and driving at 72 MPH, I get around 51 MPG. In both cases, I make up for poor up hill MPGs by going into GLIDE mode on slight down hill descents or level road cruising. I found that you could GLIDE in speeds as high as 75 MPH. I haven't attempted higher speeds. So I don't know what is the maximum speed that you can GLIDE.

I have tried hyper-miling techniques. Slow acceleration, driving without AC (regardless of outside temp), driving with the load, etc. But when my wife asked me to turn on the AC, I realized I had gone off the deep end. My wife is always cold, she sleeps with the blankets when the room temperature is 80* F. She wanted the AC on! At that point I realized I had gone too far in pursuit of MPG.

I have returned to driving the speed limit and keeping up with traffic. My only hyper-miling technique I use is GLIDING when the road surface allows. On Hot days I turn on the AC and take what MPG I get.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Hybrideriffic!
Default Re: Normal driver MPGs

Willie,

I have a 44 mile commute (each way) which is 95% freeway at 60mph max. The route consists of some very heavy traffic, some nice level stretches, and some gentle rolling terrain... a real mixed bag... but with nothing too severe.

I do little more than accelerate moderately (usually at ~2500 engine rpm) and then set the cruise control at the 60mph speed limit (if I can). I do try to maximize regenerative braking by gradually slowing down on the off-ramps after exiting the freeway. I also don't tailgate in heavy traffic in order to reduce the severity stopping and starting. I use the air conditioning or heater almost constantly.

Hardly hardcore hypermiling... just sensible safe driving techniques IMHO.

As you can see from my signature below, my lifetime mileage in my 2006 HCHII with ~4500 miles is almost 51 mpg. My last few tanks have been close to 52 mpg. I have few tanks from a 70mph fully loaded trip which yielded FE's high 40's, and those dragged the lifetime average down.

Best regards,

John L.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I'm fairly close to gyropilot with just a couple differences:
- Daily commute is 35 miles round trip, mostly in the 45-55mph range, few stops, and almost entirely flat. (Mid-Ohio farmland)
- Rarely use the A/C
- Never use the C/C (this alone appears to make a consistent 5mpg improvement)
- If a truck is driving sensibly, I'll draft about 4 car lengths behind (best sustained trip was Columbus > Cleveland at ~60 mph, 65mpg), making sure to help them with their merges as necessary.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Gobbles - I am similar in setup: in and around Pittsburgh for most of the driving with a 20-mile commute to the office (all Interstate) and then averaging 150 miles a day with a mix of Urban, Suburban, and Rural. Today was 120 miles of 98% highway but Friday was about 70% city so it is far from a set pattern. I've been using the A/C every day since I've bought the car (2 weeks today in fact) as I've needed to stay cool and not sweat on the way to my client's locations. My mileage so far is 43.9 mpg but today's trip of 120 miles was 53.0 mpg and that was without the A/C (using the A/C for me seems to lose about 5 mpg as the last three tanks were around 45-48 mpg).

That's real world for me and I love it. My previous car struggled to maintain 20-25 mpg and did not have navigation and was expensive to fix so I love this car more and more everyday.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drive about half city half highway for most of the day (I'm working as a courier right now, though not for too much longer, hopefully). I drive normally. The only things I do to save gas: I try to glide on electric only in situations that I can (though I won't slow down below the speed limit to do so), and I limit my highway speeds to 70 and below.

During my hectic days, I get about 45-46 MPG. On the highway, I just set the cruise at 68 and only intervene when going up large hills, where the cruise control doesn't like to use assist at all, so I take over. I've only really done one long trip on the highway since I bought my car, and I got about 52MPG going 68 from Columbus, OH to Pittsburgh, which goes through some VERY hilly terrain in western PA and WV.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Why be normal?

Old 08-21-2006, 06:02 PM
'06 HCH Owner

Originally Posted by kenny
Why be normal?
I believe he already answered that by saying that he tried hypermiling for a while and now just doesn't go way out on a limb to save a few miles other than a few simple things...

Kenny, do I sense some anger because everyone doesn't ride with their AC off? *smile*

Willie, more power to you if you are getting 50 mpg without going out of your way to do it and riding comfortably, that is still really good in my opinion. Especially when you compare it to the average car!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have no anger.

Live and let live, I say.
Drive and let drive.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drive with my aircon on, make short 10-15 minutes trips. Temperature here is usually at the 100. I don't pump my tires to the limit.

I get slightly better than 40mpg. I will be contented when I get to 45mpg.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just under 35 for around town and some freeway.

Quick Reply: Normal driver MPGs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands