GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Honda Motor Company > Honda Civic Hybrid > HCH II-Specific Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageUsed Cars Add a Tank TSB & Recalls

HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006+

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: Honda Civic Hybrid 2006
Default Is it safe to wash your car engine in HCH II

Hi everbody...

I want to know if I can wash my engine in Honda civic hybrid 2006 ?

It is safe like washing other gasoline cars...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Default Re: Is it safe to wash your car engine in HCH II

There was a thread just created recently on this subject:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25596

Jess

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2010 Toyota Prius Touring (& former HCHII owner)

I'd put engine bay detailing at the end of the chore list though, it's purely cosmetic. That's an area that stays warm and dry, doesn't get flung up grit. Years down the road it may look a little grubby, but will be sound, rust-free.

Thorough, periodic cleaning of the wheel wells should be priority, imho. Also, for low hanging fruit: door and trunk lower edges, rocker panels, etcetera. Also, anywhere things bolt on: door edge gaurds, mud flaps, emblems, and so on. Just look at older Hondas, see where they're rusting out. Here's a link to something I wrote on wheel well cleaning:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29221

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 02-21-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Hybrids: 2006 Honda Civic w/ 145,000

There is no reason that plain water to wash the engine would harm it.

I removed the plastic air shield under the engine before cleaning it. It is not there to keep water out, but to make the underside more aerodynamic.

I cleaned mine just before the oil changes - it stays looking new under the hood - I did dry off the black plastic with some towels when I finished.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

Here is what I was told when I asked a similar question before:
Typically cleaning the engine with water or a sprayer/hose is not recommended on almost any modern car, due to the electronics, sensors and electrical wires running to and from the engine. Although professionals may be able to do it smartly and safely, I would think twice against hosing it down without putting some thought behind it. Your fuses, sensors, wires and electrical system may not take kindly to water, and you could end up with electrical issues or worse.

Just a word of caution.

Now go clean that dirty engine!! Yeah!!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Hybrids: 2006 Honda Civic w/ 145,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonCivic View Post
Here is what I was told when I asked a similar question before:
Typically cleaning the engine with water or a sprayer/hose is not recommended on almost any modern car, due to the electronics, sensors and electrical wires running to and from the engine. Although professionals may be able to do it smartly and safely, I would think twice against hosing it down without putting some thought behind it. Your fuses, sensors, wires and electrical system may not take kindly to water, and you could end up with electrical issues or worse.
A FYI, water in the form of rain, snow, fog, humidity, and water puddles breach the engine compartment almost daily. look in from the wheel wells, there are holes that water ( and dirt and mud ) can enter the engine compartment. It get sucked in from the radiator. All critical connections have conductive grease to protect them from the elements - ( even the light bulbs have the grease on them. ).

I would agree that 500 lb per square inch (or greater) pressure washing is a bad idea, but a regular garden hose will not damage anything that would not fail going down the road. ( this assumes you are not so dumb as to put the hose in the air intake with the motor running ).

There is a 07 Civic Hybrid in NW Arkansas that the owner has weight reduced by removing all the plastic under the vehicle ( including the wheel wheel stuff and mud flaps) , the spare tire and jack ( everything in the trunk ) the passenger seat, and rear seat all the carpeting ( except the drivers ). I would guess over 1000 lbs of stuff so that he could average over 60 mpg. His engine compartment gets soaked every time it rains or snows and he has not had any problems that were wetness related. ( he has had issues because failed to yield to a deer at 60 mph on the interstate - it did some damage - radiator and battery were totaled and so was his windshield and right front tire.

I washed my 07 Hybrid engine 4 times in the year and half I owned it. Never had a problem.

You mileage may vary.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2010 Toyota Prius Touring (& former HCHII owner)

Quote:
the owner has weight reduced by removing all the plastic under the vehicle
I think the weight reduction of those items would be offset by increase in drag. The rest sounds completely over-the-top as well, but to each their own
Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Hybrids: 06 Honda Civic Hybrid (CDN model)

To clean your engine- don't spray it. Get some good quality hand-sprayed engine degreaser and cleaner- and a bunch of rags. Spray the rags and wipe down where it is dirty. This is the best way to clean an engine- if you need to do it.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk View Post
I'd put engine bay detailing at the end of the chore list though, it's purely cosmetic. That's an area that stays warm and dry, doesn't get flung up grit. Years down the road it may look a little grubby, but will be sound, rust-free.

Thorough, periodic cleaning of the wheel wells should be priority, imho. Also, for low hanging fruit: door and trunk lower edges, rocker panels, etcetera. Also, anywhere things bolt on: door edge gaurds, mud flaps, emblems, and so on. Just look at older Hondas, see where they're rusting out. Here's a link to something I wrote on wheel well cleaning:
This is a useful post as I can relate. I agree that the wheel wells should be cleaned periodically, followed by the other engine-related auto parts. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Tags
02, 2007, bay, car, civic, clean, engine, honda, hybrid, lx, prius, safe, toyota, wash, washing