HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should a new block heater = a dash warning light?

Old 01-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Should a new block heater = a dash warning light?

A couple of questions for you block heater owners...

#1: I had a new block heater installed today on my 06 HCHII. When I plugged it in for the first time, I noticed a red flashing light that I hadn't seen before. The light is coming from near the mph readout. Does this just indicate that the car is plugged in? Anyone else have this light flashing?

Incidentally, this is definitely not the security light that flashes near the Nav screen. The light in question is definitely larger and brighter.

#2: I turned the key to the ignition while the car was still plugged in(although I did not start the car) to get the interior lights and other dash warning lights to come on. I was trying to determine if the flashing light had any other indicators near it (It doesn't). There was a substantial "pop" that seemed to come from the speakers. I assume this is also related to the car being plugged in?

Thanks for any help!

Jordan

Old 01-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should a new block heater = a dash warning light?

Oh Lord, Jordan, take that to a dealer to check if everything is going okay or back to your installer and have them confirm. I posted the installation pictures on here a bunch of weeks ago and don't feel there is any reason a CEL should be on after installing one (at least no light came on after my installation). I also don't have a light come on when the car is plugged in though it might be nice if it did (I ended up putting a 16-oz plastic tumbler over the shift lever which reminds me not to shift the lever until I remove the tumbler which reads "Block Engine Heater" on it and this prevents me from driving away while still being plugged into the wall).

Make sure that the wiring for the Heater is wound per the instructions and all wiring looms used properly as this should prevent any issues. Don't know about the speakers popping though but I've never heard anything like that. Keep us posted.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Ditto Flash's comments. I've never had anything like that happen. Take it to the dealer!!

Old 01-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

The dealer installed it, so I'll take it back there tomorrow, assuming it starts in the morning. Headaches....

Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm beginning to feel a bit silly, but I just checked my manual to see if I could find that light.

I did. It's on page 62 under the heading "Security System Indicator" ("This indicator comes on when the security system is set"). So although I was correct that the light in question was different from the smaller, dimmer Anti Theft Light on the audio system (see page 121), I was incorrect in thinking it was not the security system.

Still, it's odd that the light is so large and bright and I've not noticed it before in 6 months of ownership. I guess I should be more observant. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Old 01-18-2007, 05:55 PM

You beat me to the punch as I just checked the car and the only indicator near the MPH and FE display is the red light for the security system (I think the radio has its own light because the radio will not work if removed and this is a separate security display than the car in general -- something car insurance companies need clarified for a reduction in your premium). That light should only blink when the car is locked though and should not come on if you plug your car in or turn your key but it only comes on after you lock your car so maybe you just never looked at the car after locking it - understood. But let us know about the pop in the speakers or if it happens again.