HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is Something Going on with the ScanGauge, Engine, Neither, Both?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is Something Going on with the ScanGauge, Engine, Neither, Both?

Over the past several days, I have noticed that the MPG on the ScanGauge is no longer going to 9999 and the Cost Per Mile to $0.000 when in the iFCD is pegged to the right. It has consistently gone to 9999 and $0.000 since I put in the ScanGauge in the late fall but now I am getting MPGs in the 1000 to 1800 range and CPM at $0.002 when I go into a full coast/glide.

The Regen, Glide and EV/Assist modes seem to be working "normally" and I can glide or get EV assist while keeping the ScanGauge MPG at 1000 +. My mileage overall does not appear to have declined and the coolant temp is in its regular 190 to 200 range. One thing that has changed is that it has been very humid and warm the past 4 or 5 days and I did not have the SG installed last summer.

I was under the impression that, for lack of a better term, the valves closed at a certain point while coasting, meaning the ICE was still turning but not using any fuel. I always thought that was what caused the MPG display to read 9999 on the ScanGauge. The "fraidy cat" part of me is concerned that for some reason all the valves are not closing, meaning some minimal amount of fuel is getting into the cylinders, hence the high, but still recordable, MPG and CPM.

Thoughts from the very knowledgeable GH HCH community greatly appreciated.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Something Going on with the ScanGauge, Engine, Neither, Both?

I've noticed since day one that on occasion the MPG readout does not go to 9999 when the engine is clearly not using fuel. As further evidence, I have one of the guages set to show fuel flow. When the situation occurs, you'll notice the fuel flow is stuck at some constant level until the engine starts running again.

Are you sure yours hasn't always worked this way?

-dan

Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. I had not previously noticed the ScanGauge not going to 9999 and the CPM to $0 during coasting/gliding after warm up. That doesn't mean it had not happened but the difference now is that over the five days I rarely get the 9999 (only on one trip home this week) and it is an all or nothing proposition. Like I said, my MPG does not seem off, but the change was noticeable because I've become a bit hyper on using the SG as a FE tool.

Just out of curiousity, what are the four main SG settings that you use?

Thanks!

Shaun

Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RI-brid
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. I had not previously noticed the ScanGauge not going to 9999 and the CPM to $0 during coasting/gliding after warm up. That doesn't mean it had not happened but the difference now is that over the five days I rarely get the 9999 (only on one trip home this week) and it is an all or nothing proposition. Like I said, my MPG does not seem off, but the change was noticeable because I've become a bit hyper on using the SG as a FE tool.

Just out of curiousity, what are the four main SG settings that you use?

Thanks!

Shaun
Shaun, I have seen this before on my SGII and it usually means that the unit is not calibrated properly. On your next fillup, input the amount of fuel that you filled into the tank, and it should be calibrated properly again.