HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default For those that had rear control arm replaced...

I really haven't noticed uneven tire wear, but I can say that the car is very noisy going down the freeway now. I find myself talking much louder to my kids in the back seat.

Is this a sign of the bad control arm? Would Honda honor the TSB without uneven tire wear? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Yes the upper control arms can cause this by cupping the rear tires. My 2006 HCH2 has just had the new control arms installed. They still cannot get the alignment within spec[still neg. camber] They are now going to install new rear springs. So I am not sure yet if it solves the problem. I have insulated my trunk and rear wheel wells. Helped some. One thing I have found that makes a big difference is to clean the small rocks from the tires on occasion. You may not have that problem in your location! Hal

Old 04-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, replacing the control arms quited the car down quite a bit, some claim a improvement in mpg but I really have not seen that. My complaint was "a roaring noise coming from the back of the car"

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 04-27-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, I have the roaring noise as well. I forgot to mention that I do keep the tires inflated to 44 psi. I will be calling the dealership this week to see what they want to do.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My suggestion would be to reduce the air pressure to 32 before giving them the car & increasing it when they are done...don't give them an easy out to say nothing wrong, its your fault. My last service (a1), I told them I had the tires at 40 psi & that is where I wanted them, they added a note that I was operating the car out of spec. to the invoice.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Pale Driver

One question I have on this topic-if you have no obvious symptoms, do the arms still need to be replaced? That is, are all the original arms out of spec?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 AM

"if you have no obvious symptoms"

We're in that boat as well. No uneven wear problems. I'm inclined to leave it be, considering:

1. If it isn't broke...

2. They may just screw something up in the process.

There's definitely more than one "tier" with issues: we had a recall for battery cover and a software update, but nothing on this.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I too, don't have any obvious symptoms, but I'd rather have them replaced under warranty than to have it come up later on and pay out of pocket.

Jess

Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM

That's the other thing I'm wondering: does an issue like this, a possible design defect, become a chargeable repair after the warranty period, or is there no time/mileage limit? It would almost be in Honda's best interest use the latter policy. Otherwise they're deluged with last minute repairs, possibly not necessary.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's a good question, Mendel. I was wondering the same thing. I'd rather not take the chance.

Jess

Quick Reply: For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands