HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

uh-oh... warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default uh-oh... warning lights

On three recent subzero mornings the car used the 'legacy' starter, but it started easily enough. Problem is that 2 of those 3 times, the red 'brake' warning and the yellow 'brake system' warning came on, and the transmission D indicator started flashing rapidly. Brakes felt fine and transmissioned engaged, so tried driving slowly - lights remained but car felt fine. Shut off and restarted (IMA start) after about a mile and the lights were gone. Second time it happened, tried shutting off and restarting immediately (repeated the legacy start) - lights returned. Had to do it again after I'd driven a bit, then they went away.

Anyone encounter similar?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: uh-oh... warning lights

Do you start and leave asp, or warm it up for a few min. Bothers a person when lights start flashing. Maybe only a hic-up.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

Usually start driving within half a minute or so. Lights came on within seconds of starting the engine, tho... If it's triggering brake system and transmission faults, I'm thinking something voltage-related, as in too great a dip at startup?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:18 AM

That is probably correct. How cold was it? I have started mine in -24 conditions, and the car starts without even a grunt.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

The same thing has happened to me about 3 or 4 times this winter. I thought maybe it had something to do with ice melting and refreezing within the engine compartment (possibly interfering with a sensor?) since the first few times it happened, the outdoor temperature had risen to around the freezing mark. However, the problem reoccurred again a couple days ago and the temperature was well below freezing...

Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

It was only about -4 or so here. And while turning on both brake and transmission faults seems to point to something voltage-related, the engine seemed to turn over just fine and started very quickly on the 'old' starter. Today it was 3 when I left and it started with the IMA, no issues.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 AM

I only have 1400 Kilomiters on my 06 which I purchased in Dec.. I have never had it start with the engine battery!, always starts with IMA system. I would watch that one. It may be related to that recall that is posted today. Check it out.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

Over the past week we've had temperatures anywhere from 0 to -10 around 7am. On a few mornings, the regular starter was used.

One day my fiance called me because her car wouldn't shift out of park and a bunch of warning lights came on. Once the car was warmed for a few minutes, she was able to restart it and the lights all turned off.

You're not the only one!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Greeckk, You may want to take a look at your manual. It tells you what to do when the stick will not come out of park.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Haven't checked there yet. I just turned the car off and everything was fine when I restarted.

Haven't seen it again sine our temps were back above 0.

I'll check the manual.

Thanks.

Dan

Quick Reply: uh-oh... warning lights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands