HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Washing under the hood

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Washing under the hood

I know that in general it is ok to wash under the hood. What about with the HCHII? I felt fine with it until I was about to spray it down and I see this...

Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Washing under the hood

Ermm... no offense, but unless you're working under there on a regular basis, why bother?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

Mostly because I still show it off as if it were new. A lot of times they say "pop the hood!". I pop it and there we are, the engine looks like ****. The whole car is detailed and immaculate, except the engine/under hood. This is when I get the "You know you can clean under there too?".

Am I crazy for wanting the car to look awesome, even under the hood?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by antinouskalisto
I know that in general it is ok to wash under the hood. What about with the HCHII? I felt fine with it until I was about to spray it down and I see this...
Washing under the hood is a very good idea.

For instance, I wash under the hood and keep the engine clean because:
- A cleaner engine is a "cooler" running engine.
- Better to detect leaks, cracks or brittle cables and hoses.
- Protects and extends the life of belts and other materials that can be affected by chemicals, contaminated dust and varying temperature extremes reacting with the different materials.
- Looks better and adds value to the vehicle.
- Makes it easy to argue and negotiate warranty coverage because it "proves" you care about the vehicle and you are more likely to be aware of the condition and visual state of the vehicle in general.

Now, when I wash the engine I avoid using a pressure wash. Instead, I spray the engine with an engine degreaser typically available in the auto departments of many stores. I let it sit for 5-10 minutes then I simply rinse the engine. For the plastic and rubber parts I apply a rubber/plastic protectant (armorall and others) especially for those parts to do not get very hot.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you msantos for easing my fears of washing under the hood!

By the way, I would recommend against the traditional ArmorAll or similar products which are water based. Something like Honda's vinyl/leather/plastic protectant or Meguiars vinyl/leather/plastic protectant which is silicone based is much better in the long run. It will not only shine, but restore the moisture in the parts making them actually better than the current state (restored?). The water based stuff will remove moisture as time goes on and actually degrade the part/surface.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In addition to what MSantos said...
Keeping a clean engine is good, because when the shop is repairing it, they are likely to do a better job if they have a clear view of everything.
Be sure to not get the battery, fuse boxes, or ECU (I think that's what the computer thing is called).

I have never 'washed' my HCH's engine, but I just wipe it down every month or so. The car has a deflector underneath to minimize wind resistance, which helps keep it clean.
And no... you're not crazy.

PS: MSantos: I was listening to the radio the other day, when I hear about this guy named Michael Santos (maybe your cousin?) was drunk and he decided to steal an airplane to impress his girlfriend. He ended up crashing it and costing some $100,000 in damage or something. When I heard it, I immediately thought of you, but I knew it wasn't because this guy lived in illinois or something.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Bobby:

You know, you may have a good point. I have often wondered about the effect some "protectants" have on the plastic and rubber surfaces. I have read and known about the water based ones and I have always avoided using them on leather surfaces... however, I must admit that I have used Armorall and Simoniz (my current one) with great results for many years (16+) on the other types of surfaces.

Now you are making me think... Thanks for the heads up.

Colby:

Agreed. Avoiding dumping too water much water on those components is wise. In fact, I dry the engine with a chamois before applying the protectant as well... just to make sure the water does not dry on it.

(I know, some folks may think we're sick doing this much for a car, but for some of us this is a very therapeutic activity as well)

LOL... nope I am not related to Michael Santos. ... let me check my family tree, just to be sure.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Whenever I check fluid levels, I wipe all under hood items clean. Every spring I spray the engine with a cleaner. Let soak 5 min. and spray off.H

Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am a huge neat freak when it comes to any vehicles. I have always kept the car and engine clean on all my vehicles. Now with this information, when I get home I will have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the information !

Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've thought about this, but was too afraid to spray water everywhere. But if you guys do it, I guess it'll be safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washing under the hood

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands