HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Weekend Project (After Market Fog Light Install)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Weekend Project (After Market Fog Light Install)

I recently purchased a brand new 2007 hybrid (12/21/06) and just got done installing this (OEM STYLE) kit that I found on Ebay. It was 60 bucks and well worth the savings. The directions for installation are near identical to the Honda directions which you can find here and here2. The ones on Ebay do not come with any type of directions. The first link for directions shows you how to take off the bumper and cut out the holes. The second link has to be used because the switch in the aftermarket kit is the same as the coupe version. With the Honda OEM kit the switch for the sedan is on the turn signal headlight switch. When installed everything still looks factory...no worries

My dealer wanted $250 for the lights and $250 for install. This saved me over $400 bucks. All in all I was pretty satisfied, normally I would only purchase Honda parts but I thought this was worth a try. I can definitely see why some people would run into problems with this kit. It can be very frustrating with no documentation and other things that pop up. Removing the bumper is not as simple as the picture would suggest..

If you have any questions about installing this kit let me know. I can try to help you any way I can. I just wanted to post this to let everyone know the kit has been successfully installed on a HCH2 hybrid. Orient Express actually has some pictures of his install of the factory lights and your notes on the project really helped. Especially the one about the fender clip. He rated his project at a 4 for difficulty but I have to say with this kit it's got to be closer to a 7.

Some things that may help your install:
  • A rotozip tool to cut out the holes for the fog lights.
  • Another person to assist taking off the bumper.
  • All tools necessary. Please review the instructions I listed above. If you don't have a good assortment this could be difficult and not worth your time. If you need more explanation let me know.
  • If I can think of anything else I'll post it.
Some Cons/Frustrations to the kit:
  • Seems to be a little cheaper then the normal Honda quality.
  • The third harness that goes inside the car did not have two of the wires, blue and purple that the directions mentioned. I am not exactly sure what they are for but the lights work perfectly.
  • The switch is illuminated when you turn the headlights on but it has no indication light for the fog lights. i.e. when the switch is pushed in for ON there is no light telling you they are ON. My other Honda and Acura cars always had an indication light. Although it appears that even the Honda kit for the Civic doesn't have a light.
  • There are no clips to hold the harness to the bumper you have to make up your own way of holding the harness down. Not difficult just frustrating since the Honda kit comes with nice clips.
  • NO INSTRUCTIONS
  • NO INSTRUCTIONS...its worth saying twice.
PROS:
  • $$$$$ That's it! If you don't care about that have Honda do it for you.

Next projects (later this week):

I am going to install the Parrot CK3000 bluetooth that I got on Ebay for 79 +10 for shipping.
Also I am going to install a Gentex auto dimming mirror with Homelink. 149 + 3 for shipping.

I'll post the pictures when I am done.

Last edited by tony68pa; 01-08-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Weekend Project (After Market Fog Light Install)

Important to note the non OEM kit uses H3 bulbs and the OEM kit uses H11. The H11 is a vastly superior bulb - something to think about. But at the non OEM kits pricepoint its hard to pass up.

Looking forward to reading all the other installs.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

Good point about the bulbs. When I do the HID kit I am going to take the bumper off again and replace the horn and fog light bulbs, probably next month. The H3 bulbs actually are pretty bright. There is a noticeable difference when the fog lights are on. I wish I would have thought about replacing the horn before I took off the bumper.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default (After Market Fog Light Install)

Good to hear that your instal went well.

Here are the differences that I see between your kit and the OEM kit.

The blue and purple wire that are inserted in the #2 harness connector are for illuminating the "fog lamp on" light in the instrument cluster. This is why you don't have any indications that the lamps are on. The other difference is that the OEM kit replaces the stock multi-function light/turn signal switch with one that includes a switch for the fog lamps.

I also agree that a roto-zip tool is the way to go when cutting the holes in the bumper cover.

H3 bulbs are the older bulb of choice for fog lamps but have been superseded by the H11.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

The blue and purple wire that are inserted in the #2 harness connector are for illuminating the "fog lamp on" light in the instrument cluster. This is why you don't have any indications that the lamps are on. The other difference is that the OEM kit replaces the stock multi-function light/turn signal switch with one that includes a switch for the fog lamps.
Thanks for the clarification on that. I wonder if there is a way to get that to light up by altering the aftermarket harness. The harness had a blue and purple wire.

Let me know what you think?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

So I might have misspoken.

Let me ask this.

1. During your installation, did you add any wires to the white 34 pin connector that is above the fuse box?

2. Are you saying that your fog lamp wiring harness has 2 extra wires on it that you have not connected? Do these wires have connector pins crimped to them?

Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

1. Yes I added the red/white wire to #34.

2. No there are no other wires with connector pins on them. However there is a blue wire in the harness and a purble wire. Do you think its possible to splice those? Better yet do you think those wires do the same thing?

Last edited by tony68pa; 01-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default (After Market Fog Light Install)

Does your harness have a relay in it to witch on and off the fog lamps, or does the switch power them directly?

With the factory setup, there is a purple wire that connect from the multi-function switch to the car, and then a blue wire that connects the car to a relay, which in turn powers on and off the lights.

Here is a schematic of the OEM wiring with the multi-function switch. Compare it with the schematic of what you have installed.

If the extra blue and wire you have is the same as in the OEM set up, that is a output signal wire for the relay to turn on and off the lights, and the purple wire is the input signal wire to the car.

Is it correct to assume that your wiring harness is connected to a single connector wire that was taped up under the steering column? That is the voltage line to the fog lights.

All of these wires should be accessible from the white 34 pin multi-connector.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

Ok my harness looks like the one below, with a couple exceptions. There is a blue wire in the harness but not like the picture below it is simply a wire within the harness going to one of the plugs. There is no way to plug it in to anything else. The same goes for the purple wire.

I will do more research to see where the blue and purple wires go to. If the purple wire goes to the switch maybe I can tap that wire....same for the blue if it goes to the relay.

1. Yes there is a relay.
2. Yes the harness utilizes the plug that was taped up under the steering column.

I appreciate all of your help.

Last edited by tony68pa; 01-08-2007 at 03:32 PM.