2008 Vue Hybrid System Down Twice

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Vue Hybrid System Down Twice

At about 8,000 miles the check engine came on then shortly they electronic readout read service engine. Before this it had been hard to start in the AM, almost dying one or two times, having to give it gas to keep it running, then it would run fairly OK. Made an appointment to take it in the next morning. That morning I went to start it and it died completely three times before I could keep it running. The dealer said the entire hybrid system was down but wasn't too clear on what parts needed replacing - even the paperwork is somewhat vague...lots of codes. It took about a week for the parts to come in and a day to repair. Dealer said they had to "reprogram" the computer to get the check engine light off..hmmmm.

We drove it for about another 3,000 miles, the gas mileage wasn't as good as it was before the repair, then it started doing the same thing, hard to start, check engine light coming on, etc. etc. Made an appointment to take it in so that morning we went to start it and it seemed EVERYTHING was failing one by one. Check engine light on, the readout read ABS system fail, alternator light on, then none of the gagues were working! No speedometer, no fuel gauge, no tach.... Finally got it to stay running and took off. About a half mile from our house the car just shut off...no power brakes, no power steering...etc...and we were going down a steep hill! To make matters worse it had snowed and frozen on the road making it very slippery and dangerous. I've never been so scared in my life! I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating but everything is true! Luckily at the bottom there was a small parking lot we were able to coast into. We called roadside assistance to pick it up and take it to the dealership for repair. The dealership said the hybrid system went down AGAIN!

So it's been repaired again, we asked if it was the same issue and the rep said no. Again the paperwork on the repair is pretty vague so we're wondering if anyone else has had issues like this with their Vue? This is our first Hybrid and we're pretty disappointed so far with it.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Vue Hybrid System Down Twice

Yikes!! I hope they can get it straightened out for you. If something like that happens gain, hit the Onstar button and have them tow it in, don't put your life at risk, not worth it!!