Buy a spare hub and tire...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Buy a spare hub and tire...

So the car got a flat on a rear tire one Saturday morning. No big deal you'd think, especially as it was slow and lost the air on the driveway. Normally you'd just change the wheel and drop off the flat for repair or replacement. 20 mins of inconvenience. Unfortuantely there's no spare by design.

So we call Saturn assist as one is supposed to. We wait around until mid afternoon then the assist guy insists on searching the car for a spare just in case we're idiots, then decides he can't tow it as the car is front wheel drive and the flat is on the rear. I suggest he swap a tire to resolve the problem, which, eventually he does, once all the additional authorizations are done. 90 mins after arrival, the car is then towed to the local dealership 15 miles away.

I call and they say they don't have the tire and can't get one until the middle of the next week at best. They suggest I buy a Hankook. I point out that the tires are low resistance for the VUE GL, and mixing types isn't good practice. Oh, they say, you're right, we'll order one. I suggest that the dealership keep tires in stock as we're not the only people who will get a flat from time to time - this seems like something they can't do.

So, Thurs of the following week we get the GL back. Saturn has turned a 20 minute inconvenience into a 5 day issue. What would happen if we were out of the area? We'd be truly stuck.

There really was no reason that the Saturn engineers had to use the spare compartment for the batteries. They're not that big and I'm sure somewhere else could have been used.

So I ended up buying a used hub and wheel so I can take the crisis out of a simple thing most of the time.

What a useless design and poor customer service from Saturn. I despair of these people.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buy a spare hub and tire...

Originally Posted by OurGL
So the car got a flat on a rear tire one Saturday morning. No big deal you'd think, especially as it was slow and lost the air on the driveway. Normally you'd just change the wheel and drop off the flat for repair or replacement. 20 mins of inconvenience. Unfortuantely there's no spare by design.

So we call Saturn assist as one is supposed to. We wait around until mid afternoon then the assist guy insists on searching the car for a spare just in case we're idiots, then decides he can't tow it as the car is front wheel drive and the flat is on the rear. I suggest he swap a tire to resolve the problem, which, eventually he does, once all the additional authorizations are done. 90 mins after arrival, the car is then towed to the local dealership 15 miles away.

I call and they say they don't have the tire and can't get one until the middle of the next week at best. They suggest I buy a Hankook. I point out that the tires are low resistance for the VUE GL, and mixing types isn't good practice. Oh, they say, you're right, we'll order one. I suggest that the dealership keep tires in stock as we're not the only people who will get a flat from time to time - this seems like something they can't do.

So, Thurs of the following week we get the GL back. Saturn has turned a 20 minute inconvenience into a 5 day issue. What would happen if we were out of the area? We'd be truly stuck.

There really was no reason that the Saturn engineers had to use the spare compartment for the batteries. They're not that big and I'm sure somewhere else could have been used.

So I ended up buying a used hub and wheel so I can take the crisis out of a simple thing most of the time.

What a useless design and poor customer service from Saturn. I despair of these people.
Ford used the spare tire area on the Escape... at least I think thats what the area was meant for in the first place as far as I can tell....

They then mounted a spare tire UNDER the car.... I'd have to say not having a spare is a pretty dumb idea on the Saturns.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe Honda also eliminated the spares.

Of course, in Detroit most SUV and truck owners that have externally mounted spares take them off before they're stolen so we're not in any better shape.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Would it have killed them to put an eternally mounted donut tire under the car even? (I wanted to buy a donut and figure out a mount arrangement but these things cost a fortune after-market so I nixed the idea).

Heck, perhaps I could padlock it if I lived in Detroit :-). For now, the spare lives in my garage so local problems can be solved by a call back home - a bit inconvenient but better than the alternative. Longer journeys will require a bit more thought though I do have one of those rooftop shells that might mount on the roof rails and do the trick.

(By the way, I've seen much debate about this - I had a VUE before this GL. The old cross rails fit despite what Saturn will tell you, and we had Saturn take them off the old car and put them on the new ones when we bought it. I'm talking about the basic black ones, not the later high chrome glossies). So if anyone cares to debate further, trust me, they fit as nothing changed up there over all the years of the VUE I).

I guess the bottom line is, if the tires aren't readily available, Saturn needs to back us up by always having some somewhere that can rescue us. Getting a tow 24/7 is no use if you're 500 miles from home with a 5 day turnaround really is it. Ditto on run flats - so I can get it to Saturn, then they still won't have the tire - same problem. Ah, you say, they give you that spiffy little kit with the sealant gunk and an inflator. True, that will work for small temporary patches to get you to the dealer. Guess what - if you use it, the tire can't be repaired and you need another one so back to the 5 day turnaround. All in all, Saturn need to step up with a solution.

As soon as these tires go, I think I'm just going to abandon the low rolling resistance in favor of something common. At least then someone will have it in stock.

Honestly, with this, the numerous other quality issues we've had, the move to steel panels, and the oversold fuel economy, I think this will be the last of our line of Saturns. Sad but we're feeling driven away really and Saturn is just another GM division now.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

What makes this even worse (for your dealer) is that the tire IS common. Too many folks think that the tires on the VUE GL are some wacky, expensive, unusual hard-to-find tires. They aren't. They aren't special in any way other than that they have lower rolling resistance than the standard VUE's tires (which I believe are Bridgestone Duellers). The exact same General Ameri-GS60 tires were standard equipment on lots of other GM cars, including my father-in-law's Buick and my friend's Chevrolet Colorado pickup. You can pick them up for $64 each at the Tire Rack. There's no excuse for why it takes so long for your dealer to get one.

We may not like that the GL doesn't have a spare (though it honestly doesn't bother me--if it did, I would just do what you did and get a donut and put it in a canvas bag), but we're going to see this more and more. Even the new Pontiac G8 doesn't have a spare. Manufacturers are dumping them in the name of space usage and fuel efficiency. Between my wife and I, we haven't had a flat in nearly 200,000 miles of driving. We did have a leak in one of the VUE's tires last year, so I just topped it up, drove to the nearest tire shop, and had it repaired. Cost twelve bucks.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

We just had a bolt into the rear tire last week (07 Hybrid), as we arrived home, flat tire. Called service, reasonably quick (90 minutes), insisted there was a spare, looked and looked and didn't believe the manual. As car was in garage, truck couldn't lift, the Saturn has NO jack, NO lug wrench, NO spare and it's illegal to fix a tire with 'gunk' in it in Michigan (without a very $$$ cleaning). Service truck would not fix a puncture like that, couldn't find a tire repair place open Saturday afternoon within 25 miles to tow to, a real mess. We took it in and tire was fixed Monday. We will by a spare 'donut' tire. Also, the Gunk has an expiration date, and the inflater takes 15 minutes.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

I had the same problem except it took Saturn 5 days to get us a new tire (none available it seemed) which was appalling. I looked into a donut but they are very expensive so ended up buying a used full-size that's stored in my garage. I figure that way I can rescue my wife who drives it locally most of the time but doesn't solve the long distance problem; that said, the tires are more available now so same day should be OK unless you're in the boonies on a Sunday.....

No car should be without a spare of some sort though this appears to be a trend to save weight/cost - my one year old BMW doesn't have one either.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OurGL
I looked into a donut but they are very expensive so ended up buying a used full-size that's stored in my garage. I figure that way I can rescue my wife who drives it locally most of the time but doesn't solve the long distance problem; that said, the tires are more available now so same day should be OK unless you're in the boonies on a Sunday.....
That seems like a reasonable solution--have one nearby to at least get you around. I think I'll look into that. Did you get it at a junkyard?

You're right about new cars leaving out spares becoming an alarming trend. I think manufacturers have begun assuming that most folks just don't change their own tires anymore, and most new cars come with roadside assistance that would just tow it in should you get a flat. I don't particularly like it either, but it makes a bit more sense in the hybrid.

That said, the Generals on our GL are still in excellent shape after about 40k, and are still quiet. It looks like these could run 60k+.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post Original Tires on my Vue...

Knock on wood - I have not had any tire problems. In fact - I just passed 70,000 Miles and think I could get 100,000 miles on the original set. I have rotated the tires every oil change usually around 7,000 - 10,000 miles and they have worn evenly. Still plenty of use on my tires.

As for the spare - I may look into a used tire to keep in garage. Good tip.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

word of advice with the spare, dont buy a donut tire. get a full size spare that measures out to be the same size as your stock tires. i put a wheel i had laying in my garage on the back of my wife's 07 vue and about 3 minutes down the road the traction control light, abs, light, and check engine light all popped on. from what i undrstand the hybrid system charges off the back wheels and it being a different size it screwed with all the sensors. i put the stock wheel back on after i had it patched up and the abs and traction control light went off but the check engine light stayed on.

i took the suv down to aitozone and they couldn't read the code. it said, check with manfuaturer on the code reader. and since autozone cant erase codes anymore its still on. i dont know if disconnecting the batter for 30 minutes would reset the comp. or not due to the hybrid system still being connected. and i'm not about to go and start tearing into the hybrid system on a vehicle thats under warranty still. so monday i'm gonna run out to my friends house who has a scanner and see if we can erase the code and hope it stays off. if not i guess i'm headed to the dealership which is about 30 minutes from my house.

so the lesson in all this is buy a full size spare, get the truck towed or leave it where it is and take your tire down to the tire shop with a truck thats not so "technoligically advanced"

Quick Reply: Buy a spare hub and tire...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands