My Vue Hybrid battery bit the dust!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My Vue Hybrid battery bit the dust!!

Originally Posted by TwoVues
Over the past few weeks we've experienced intermittent periods where the check engine light would come on. It seemed to happen every time we drove through a puddle of water. After a day or so the light would go out and the Vue would operate normally. This was annoying so we took the vehicle to our local Saturn dealer to have it checked out. Well I guess we are joining the new battery team!

The service manager said that we could drive the vehicle until the new battery comes in next week. He assured us that there would be no damaging effects on the system. He said that the computer showed that there were variations in voltage between the battery cells that cause the hybrid system to shut down (a safety feature to prevent damage) on and off. The REAL kicker is that after leaving the dealer the light went out, Auto Stop was working and the Eco light was on virtually the entire trip home. To top everything off, the vehicle has under five thousand miles on it!

Oh well, we knew getting into this first generation Hybrid that there'd be some teething problems. We still love our Greenline.
When ours bit the big one in November, I too wondered if it was a good idea to continue driving it. My dealer was very gracious and immediately offered a rental while we waited as soon as he noticed my concern.

That's really where customer service makes such a big difference. Being without a car for 11 days is a nuisance, and especially if the car is still so new. By offering a rental and being generally helpful at all times, they made the situation much more bearable.

There is good news in all of this, though--most people who had problems at the very beginning ended up needing a new battery, and once replaced, I haven't read of a single repeat problem.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: My Vue Hybrid battery bit the dust!!

New Battery Experiences

Just thought that I'd update everyone about the new battery experiences to date. We were rather disappointed with the GL's mileage over the first two weeks after the battery replacement. Even with some descent highway trips we only managed a measly 27 USMPG during that period. I put this down to the "reprogramming" that was done after the battery exchange.

We've had two previous reprogramming experiences and after each the mileage was disappointing for the first couple of weeks after it was done. The service manager explained to me that there is an certain amount of artificial intelligence built into the hybrid computer that adjusts to your driving style. After a reprogramming the system has to "relearn" things as the reprogramming wipes out past data.

Anyway, since my last tank top up we carefully monitored the Charge/Assist activity as well as mileage verses fuel gauge level. Over the first two weeks with the new battery the tank level would dip below half after only going 180 miles. That's about what we were getting with the old faulty battery.

It's been a week since we topped up the tank and during this period we began to notice that the fuel gauge wasn't dropping at it's previous rate while at the same time the odometer was climbing. We've been doing a lot of driving in the city and on country roads gathering materials for the planting season. Today after a trip into the countryside and back the tank finally was down to the half way mark and with much hope I decided to fill it up to check what I already guessed would be an improvement. With most (80+%) of this driving at under 50 miles per hour and associated stop and go we didn't expect too much.

The net result was a 31.19 IMPG (26 USMPG) mileage for what was mostly urban driving. ( Resource Canada's city rating for the GL is 32 IMPG) We haven't seen these kind of numbers since last October. Granted the temperature here has been a tad warmer 40F but it was around that during the first two weeks after the new battery. Our previous numbers over the last few months were stuck in the 20-22 USMPG range so this improvement at least looks promising. BTW, our 2006 Vue's mileage over the same period has been in the mid teens.

Cheers!!

Jan

Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking AI and Hybrid Technology.....

To Jan:

I hope the good gas mileage continues and rises in conjunction with the warmer temperatures. I truly feel that the way the Hybrid is programmed has a great deal to do with the mpg results.

As for the statement - "The service manager explained to me that there is an certain amount of artificial intelligence built into the hybrid computer that adjusts to your driving style."

I think that is the first time I heard anyone mention Artificial Intelligence and Hybrid technology in the same sentence. It is an interesting statement but one I highly doubt. Maybe one day that will be the case.

However, if we suspend belief for a moment - given my stellar mpg's - my Saturn Vue Hybrid and I are in perfect harmony.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: AI and Hybrid Technology.....

Originally Posted by HybridVue

As for the statement - "The service manager explained to me that there is an certain amount of artificial intelligence built into the hybrid computer that adjusts to your driving style."

I think that is the first time I heard anyone mention Artificial Intelligence and Hybrid technology in the same sentence. It is an interesting statement but one I highly doubt. Maybe one day that will be the case.
HybridVue,

I was only relating what the service manager told me but some personal observations leant some credence to otherwise circumstantial evidence. This service was the third occurrence where my hybrid computer was "wiped" and the control software reinstalled. After the previous reinstalls I also observed a drop in mileage for one and a half to two weeks. I searched the 'Net and have found reference to "Smart Charging" and "Environmental Operation Adjustments" pertaining to GM's Hybrid systems. I am sure that the system is crude (no Issac Asimov type) but purely from personal observation, at least on the surface, something is going on.

My driving and routes are fairly consistent and since my last post I continue to see what to this point appears to be an improvement. From the same period last year (with similar 40F temperatures) I am seeing a 3 USMPG improvement. An unscientific observation is that in the last week I have noticed the gas gauge drop to about 1/8 below full with a mileage of over 70 miles. With a 16 US gallon tank that's about 2 US gallons to go 70+ miles. Previous observations showed barely over 45 miles for the same rough positioning of the gauge needle. Like I say, rather unscientific but an observable difference. Can't wait for the next real check to see if this is reality or wishful thinking. Hopefully the latter.

Regards,
Jan

Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: My Vue Hybrid battery bit the dust!!

I purchased this Saturn Vue Hybrid Green Line new on 5/31/07. Problems with ignition sticking was replaced twice, still an issue. Also, the heating element for the driver's seat malfunctioned and it was replaced. When I went to get the car, there was dirt and grease all over the bottom and back of seat! They 'cleaned' it, but then the seat cover was bleached. They replaced the cover. Also, there was an issue with something in the dashboard that was fixed yesterday. I have only gotten, and still only get approximately 20 mpg!!!

Battery is the Main and Major problem:

03/13/08 in for service due to engine shutting off and restarting itself. Codes P1A6F; P1A5A; P1A56, Bulletin 07-06-03-006A suspected battery corrosion. Ordered new battery, I was given car to drive for 7 days until battery received and replaced at that time.

9/02/08: The same issue of stop/restarting engine occurring again in for service, Bulletin PIP 4009 . PCM calibration recalibrated ECM with newest cal., service stated driving ok.

10/23/08: Again in for same issue of engine stop/restarting itself on with no resolve.

1/28/09: Again in for same issue, code P1174, replaced only injectors 1 & 2. Found Code P1A6F. Service tech cleared codes, stated working fine.

02/05/09: In again for stop/restart of engine. Waiting to hear from service.

I phoned the Saturn Customer Call Center tonight asking for my money back, as I do not feel safe, I am NOT safe driving this car. Scott Cunningham told me that Saturn will only resolve to help in having the local Saturn Dealer address my concerns. I am presently starting a Lemon Law case against Saturn. I was told it could take 7 - 9 months before I could get any help. I don't feel I have that much time before something major malfunctions and my family and I are in an accident that could result in severe life threatening results.

I've had a niece and a nephew die in separate car accidents. I am afraid to drive this car and having panic attacks. I can't drive this car any distance as it is not safe.

I'm at my whits end with this awful, and unsafe vehicle. Any one have any suggestions for my problem?