Confidence in NAH

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Confidence in NAH

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a Altima Hybrid 2009 model year and later with somewhere between 30k to 80k miles on it. I had a few questions no one at the dealerships I went to could answer and I'm hoping you guys will know:

1. How long is the warranty on the electrical parts of the car? The dealer told me 3 years for the car. But it seems that the battery is required to be warrantied to 100k miles for Camrys and other hybrids. Is that the case for NAH?

2. I saw an article in consumer reports about a 200k Prius battery performing almost the same as it did 10 years ago. Do we have similar information or comparable anecdotal info for the Altima? Is buying an Altima with 80k miles on it a bad idea due to potential battery issues? I'm guessing not since it's leased tech from Toyota, but I'd like to hear from real experience.

3. How do you get it serviced/repaired? I don't think my regular mechanic is qualified to handle the repairs or maintenance of the NAH electrical side. If so I'd end up at a dealership - I live in NY but might move. Are mechanics in NY or other states outside of a dealership available? a good idea to take the car to?

4. I drive about 12k miles a year on 15mpg city with majority city driving. I figure getting 35ish mpg city would save me about $1800 a year on gas ($4/gal). I'm concerned that battery/dealership etc. costs will wipe out those savings (beyond regular maintenance I'd do with a regular car). Anyone have cost info on repairs/maintenance at their dealer/mechanics?

5. Does anyone have a NAH that is over 100k miles? How does it do? How long do you plan on driving it?

6. I'm considering a Thule roof rack type thing to offset the small trunk (only when needed) - anyone have any experience with mileage concerns there?

7. How does the NAH do in the winter before the engine is warmed up? or the summer when the A/C is on?

I'd appreciate any input at all. Thank you all in advance,

tito.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
hlv
Enthusiast
Default Re: Confidence in NAH

Answers to a few of your questions:
  • I own a 2010 hybrid with 36000 miles now. I pretty much assumed that I'd be stuck with dealer-only service given the rarity of this model. There are independent mechanics who specialize in hybrids, so if you move out of the limited NAH sales area, perhaps you can find one.
  • The only extra maintenance expense so far has been that Nissan recommends fully-synthetic oil which costs more then regular oil, about $70 at the dealer, although they send out coupons periodically.
  • Here in Massachusetts our winter fuel economy is lower than in the summer due to warm-up time and the fuel additives that make winter gas less efficient. I'd say we average 35mpg overall, varying from 38 in the summer to 32 in the winter. A/C has a small effect on FE, perhaps 1mpg.
  • As I recall, you're right about the high-voltage electric system being warranted for 100K or 105K miles.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

1. How long is the warranty on the electrical parts of the car? The dealer told me 3 years for the car. But it seems that the battery is required to be warrantied to 100k miles for Camrys and other hybrids. Is that the case for NAH?

HEV system is warranted for 100k miles
Other electrical 3yr/36k

Battery is waranted for 150k

2. I saw an article in consumer reports about a 200k Prius battery performing almost the same as it did 10 years ago. Do we have similar information or comparable anecdotal info for the Altima? Is buying an Altima with 80k miles on it a bad idea due to potential battery issues? I'm guessing not since it's leased tech from Toyota, but I'd like to hear from real experience.

I am at 95k miles, no noticeable change in holding charge at his point. Car overall drives like it did at 25k.

3. How do you get it serviced/repaired? I don't think my regular mechanic is qualified to handle the repairs or maintenance of the NAH electrical side. If so I'd end up at a dealership - I live in NY but might move. Are mechanics in NY or other states outside of a dealership available? a good idea to take the car to?

Did my own oil changes, did major service a qualified shops, major service at dealership. Sorry do not know about mechanics in NY as I am in California.

4. I drive about 12k miles a year on 15mpg city with majority city driving. I figure getting 35ish mpg city would save me about $1800 a year on gas ($4/gal). I'm concerned that battery/dealership etc. costs will wipe out those savings (beyond regular maintenance I'd do with a regular car). Anyone have cost info on repairs/maintenance at their dealer/mechanics?

Overall service costs not much more than my previous cars, except cost of motor oil. But since it runs on synthetic, I have found I can do oil service every 5-7.5k rather than teh previous every 3k I used to so I end up saving some back. You will need to calculate your own savings as I do not knwo your local costs. Buts eriously, oil changes are same in hybrid as regualr car so doing your self can save lots if you can do it.

5. Does anyone have a NAH that is over 100k miles? How does it do? How long do you plan on driving it?

As noted, over 95k. Plannning to run to a minimum of 150k.

6. I'm considering a Thule roof rack type thing to offset the small trunk (only when needed) - anyone have any experience with mileage concerns there?

Have Yakima rack with optional 11 cubic Rocket Box. Mileage drops by 3-5mpg. Rack only with fairing about 2-3mpg drop.

7. How does the NAH do in the winter before the engine is warmed up? or the summer when the A/C is on?

I find running AC makes little difference actually. Winter mileage lower, car need to be warmed up for HEV system to run properly. Others have found better mileage if they wind block the front grill in winter.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am quite certain that I am getting worse fuel economy on my 4 year old 2008 NAH than I did when I got it. Given that I treat the engine very well with 0W20 synthetic every 5K miles and have had the tranny fluid drained, I am thinking it is the battery that is not holding as good a charge as it did when new. I have 50K miles on my car.

When I first got it, I was getting 44-45mpg on my best summer tanks. Now I am getting more like 41-42mpg.

Eph