Hybrid Battery Life/Replacement

Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Battery Life/Replacement

I haven't seen anything on here recently about replacing the Nissan Altima Hybrid battery. The thing is, I also haven't really seen anything anywhere else either.

I have an '09 Altima Hybrid that still has some life in the warranty, but won't in a short while, and the idea of dropping $6,000 on a battery doesn't thrill me.

So I'm asking: Has anyone had to replace the Altima Hybrid battery yet? Were you able to find used/reconditioned batteries? What was the cost? And has anyone used this "Battery Conditioning Service" that comes up every time I Google this question?

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Battery Life/Replacement

If you're in a CARB emission state, it should be covered by a 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty.

I highly doubt it'd be $6K. See http://prius.wikia.com/wiki/Failed_t..._what_to_do%3F for pricing on Prius HV batteries.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have 2007 NAH on the road since May 29, 2007 with just past 90K miles. No discernable reduction in HV battery performance. The only problem we have had was the brake light switch problem common on the Altima.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

120,000 miles here so far, on a 2007 NAH.

Word is, there are many reports of the similar Prius batteries extending to double the CA state 150,000 mile warranty on these.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Hybrid Battery Life/Replacement

This might be a little late for the original poster but certainly might help anybody else who is facing the same issue - trying to find a replacement hybrid battery for an old Altima.

GreenTec Auto offers two replacement options for a lot less than what Nissan dealer charge for OEM.

http://greentecauto.com/hybrid-batte...hybrid-battery

The higher end battery is covered by a 3-year unlimited mile warranty, the cheaper by 1.5 year/unlimited.
Just for the record, typical Nissan's warranty for NAH battery is 10yrs/100k miles.

Last edited by Mark Burns; 01-21-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

That's really good news, Mark.
Thanks so sharing the link. This gives me confidence to keep this baby for the long haul.
However, I suppose most people would also add shop labor to pay someone trained in hybrid components and who has the cool fireman suits!

Interestingly, within days of my prior 120,000 mile post, our hybrid battery went into noticeable decline. Symptoms included:
- gas mileage remarkably low (i.e. low - mid 20s)
- surging of the needle
- hybrid needle going all the way down to zero
- not typically staying in hybrid mode up through 41 mph.

Anyway, I took it in, and sure enough: Nissan confirmed it was defective and needed replacement. For the replacement (not new) battery, installation, and removal of the old, it was billed out at $5000. However, with the 150,000 mile 10-year warranty, I paid $0. (It was definitely a "Praise the Lord" moment for us.)

We are now back to a standard 31.5 mpg in mixed driving (in LA, with 10% Ethanol, and lots of short trips.) The upgraded battery seems to be working perfectly.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just replaced my HV battery at 185k miles. Error lights came on and hybrid system disconnected itself so I went hand had it checked. OBD detected error listing "Replace Hybrid Battery".
Went by dealership and new replacement was around $6k! Had started looking into replacements when I came out of the 150k
Warranty period here in CA so I knew other options existed. Since mine is a first year model 2007 NAH, I expect a couple more years would be reasonable. Anyhow after hunting around and seeing aftermarket new and refurbished battery I packs, I found a supplier in Sacramento who refurbishes hybrid batteries and would come to the Bay Area to replace my old one and warranty it for One Year. Refurbished in this case means all low voltage cells are replaced with higher performing cells though all are used cells from salvaged battery packed form various models that use the same cells in slightly different battery bank configurations. Anticipated life is 2-3 years. Cost was $1350 installed, just two days after i ordered it and immediately the car felt better than it was prior to the battery failure.
Battery bank is same as TCH and uses same cells as Prius , Lexus, and Infiniti hybrids.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Doesn't the California 10 year warranty cover the replacement?

Old 08-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sadly it's 10 years or 150k whichever comes first ...

Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

I checked with greentecauto.com and a Altima hybrid battery runs about 2500-3000 depending if you want new or refurbished. Way cheaper than what delearship wants.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hybrid Battery Life/Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands