Toyota Motor Corporation Lexus and Toyota Hybrids

Other than being green... why get one vs a regular car?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Other than being green... why get one vs a regular car?

I want to get one but trying to convince my mom and dad is difficult. Other than the fact that they are environmentally friendly, I need more arguments.

I know it can save money with gas but thats a long term result that I probably won't see as I keeping a car for more than 6 years seems unsafe for me.

Are the cars any of you own more roomy than a regular sedan, as I am an art student and I'm always carrying a lot of stuff in my trunk?
Do they have cooler features/interior than a regular car?

Is there any arguments you guys can help me come up with other than the gas and green factor, to really sell both of my parents into investing in one?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Other than being green... why get one vs a regular car?

Right now there is still a premium for hybrids. I justify this premium as helping the industry improve the hybrid/electric technology to the point that some day it will be as cheap or even replace gas only powered vehicles.

Hybrids generally should be considered investments in the technology, not just for fuel savings, since the break even is usually several years, depending on your driving style.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hybrids are usually more highly-specced than the equivalent.
Perhaps not so much about being green but saving on fossil fuels which are not renewable energy sources.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

John and grix17 have the two major points covered. Every new hybrid vehilce line by the large companies increases the effeciency of the parts, reduces the size, mass, and cost of the technology. This is also driving battery technology that was not available to anyone but NASA just a few years ago.

If you buy a hybrid today you may not get the money back in gas savings. By the time you almost see the profit, you will most likely need a new battery. However look at the health side.

Once stuck in the Holland Tunnel during rush hour I sure wished the other vehicles around me were hybrids too. How many out-of-gas cars increase the traffic jams that ran them out? In a 2 Mode Silvarado pick up truck I used hardly any gas in a 10 mile 1.5 hour traffic jam. I would creep 20 feet and stop with the engine off. Then every 15 minutes or so the engine came on and ran for abour 3 minutes.

So it is an investment in the future that has some intangeble benefits today. We soon forgot the $4.50 per gallon before this recession. When the world demand for fuel comes back and hits new highs... why would we not expect $6, $7, or $8?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

First, cars aren't investments. With all the tax incentives, rebates, and employer incentives the car I bought (NAH) was less expensive than a comparably equipped gas model - so it made sense. Frankly, if you put up the money then you make the choice...otherwise let your parents make the decision based on their values and finances.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you want a bargain or don't want to pay the premium for a hybrid, get a good, low-mileage, 1-2 year old hybrid. You will save about 30-50% off the MSRP now, while gas prices are relatively low. But, when gas goes back up again, you won't be able to get the great deals that are out there right now.

If you want piece of mind, add an extended warranty.

When this economy shows any significant, long-term signs of recovery, believe me, the futures speculators are going to drive up the long-term cost of crude oil, and we will be looking at $4 gas again.....or much, much higher. Just remember; relatively few people buy hybrids when gas is around $2.5-$2.75. But, no one buys trucks and large SUVs when gas is $4-$4.25, and diesel is $5.