Honda Motor Company/Acura Honda hybrids

Navigation System for 2006 HCH Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Tight Wad
Exclamation Navigation System for 2006 HCH Civic

I just bought a 2006 HCH Civic with Navi and it didn't come with much info about the Navi system. The maps and POI are pretty old and I'd like to update them. Also, I'd like to know how the voice commands etc. work. It seems to only let me enter one voice "letter" at a time. Really? "One letter at a time?" Also wondering if I can change it to display map in "up" orientation all the time instead of only pointing up when traveling north.

So:
1. is there new data that I can get cheap for this?
2. is there a PDF manual available for this?
3. can the map be changed to display map up all the time?
4. can voice commands be more than one letter at a time?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Tight Wad
Default Re: Navigation System for 2006 HCH Civic

I can't believe that nobody has chimed in here but I've answered most of my own questions by playing with the Navi System. Some of the Navi letters in some cases can be spelled all at once, but some must be one letter at a time. I have not found a PDF. There is a voice command to change map orientation to "up" all the time.

I'm still looking for an updated data CD that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Honda sells them for $150.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Enthusiast

I recently got my own 06 HCH and also have the older maps that seem unreasonably out of date even for 2005. Ebay's prices for used discs rarely dropped below $120, but I have found quite a few 06 Honda civics at salvage yards and am just waiting to find one with a Navigation so you might try that route if you haven't already.
Are you still liking your Civic?, we just bought ours a few days ago with 165,000 miles in the same Magnetic blue and love it so far, but still on edge waiting for something to go wrong..

Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Tight Wad

Originally Posted by MikePatrick
I recently got my own 06 HCH and also have the older maps that seem unreasonably out of date even for 2005. Ebay's prices for used discs rarely dropped below $120, but I have found quite a few 06 Honda civics at salvage yards and am just waiting to find one with a Navigation so you might try that route if you haven't already.
Are you still liking your Civic?, we just bought ours a few days ago with 165,000 miles in the same Magnetic blue and love it so far, but still on edge waiting for something to go wrong..
Mike,

I still drive mine every day and do get pretty good mileage considering that mine is having the IMA battery problems that have been talked about on the news. I've been waiting to see if Honda will do anything about it. I have not found a new Navi DVD yet, so I have continued to use the 2006 data. My friend has a newer Acura that he paid the $150 for the updated DVD and I'm going to see if it will work in mine. He may burn a copy if he can.

To get the good mileage I've been getting from my HCH I've been charging my IMA battery every morning for about an hour. I purchased a 200vdc charger on eBay for $40 and wired a pigtail to the battery so can hook it up easliy and give it a 300mA charge while I have breakfast. It keeps if from having as many recals. During the recals, the IMA doesn't work and the car has very little power and eats the fuel while the system brings the IMA battery back to full strength. By doing this I've been able to keep my mileage at an average of 42.5mpg. But I do get about 45 highway, and 38-42 city depending on how I drive. I'd like the car much better if it had a new battery.