Ford Motor Company Ford, Mazda and Mercury hybrids

Survey on adoption of hybrid cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Survey on adoption of hybrid cars

Hi All,

I am business graduate student of Lucas Business School(SJSU).

As part of my business market research course, we are sending consumer survey for "consumer adoption of hybrid cars". This is just a course project. So i want ur perspective on hybridcars.

Hybrid car costs more than conventional car, but there are other benefits. The project is basically a front end to understanding consumer behavior and running some data analysis on survey answers.

Please take a moment to complete this survey. The survey is based on software of www.qualtrics.com. The data will be stored on Qualtrics servers. No personal information will be asked during the survey.

Your feedback will be of great use to my team.

http://cengageessentials.qualtrics.c...mPPeBCkas26L9a

Thanks

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Survey on adoption of hybrid cars

I think that the future of hybrid cars are not so great. Hybrid cars had not a great future. Only 35% peoples in the world want to buy hybrid cars again, so there is no other peoples who want to buy it again.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Percymasson
I think that the future of hybrid cars are not so great. Hybrid cars had not a great future. Only 35% peoples in the world want to buy hybrid cars again, so there is no other peoples who want to buy it again.
But aren't sales of hybrids increasing all the time? There certainly are more hybrid models being offered by practically every car company now. And the technology is starting to go into trucks.

I am surprised by surveys that show most hybrid owners don't replace their hybrids with hybrids. Yet, someone is buying new hybrids and people are also buying the used ones that become available. Maybe the resale values aren't as high as one would expect, but people still buy them.

Maybe the problem is that both gasoline prices and concern about global warming have stabilized so people don't worry as much about saving money and the planet. But mileage regulations, which are based on what we might call "long term wisdom" will ensure hybrids will continue to be a growing part of the car product mix. Perhaps some day battery technology will reach a point where hybrids will be replaced by ev's. Recapturing wasted energy just makes such perfect sense that it's hard to see how hybrids would be abandoned before then.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

xspirt, the guy you are quoting has not been on here in 18 months and was nothing but a spam account with a link in the signature. I do want to thank you for bring it up so I can delete the link though.....

Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Fair enough. I should have looked to see that the topic was a bit old. A Google search for "rate of hybrid car owners not buying again" turns up a lot of articles from mid-2012, based on a JR Polk study, and the "buy again" rate of hybrid owners at the time was 35%, 25% if Prius owners were excluded. I think it's fair to ponder why the rate would be so low. I couldn't find newer figures.

The explanation that seemed to make the most sense was from:
http://evworld.com/journal.cfm?jid=237

"Consumers are smart enough to do the math and given the current lackluster economy, a lot of car buyers are figuring they can save money and gas by switching to Honda Fits, Chevy Cruzes and Ford Focuses. Granted, all those cars are still dependent on the supply of petroleum and even more volatile gasoline prices, but it's a gamble a lot of people are willing to take.

It's my view that the reason a lot of non-Prius hybrid car owners are not repurchasing new hybrids is a combination of family economics and improving ICE-age engine technology, as well as disappointment with hybrids offered by the "also rans." But the key message here is, that group represents a far smaller fraction of the hybrid owner market than R.L Polk's survey numbers suggest. What Polk's findings really say is the Hondas, Hyundais, Fords and GMs need to do a lot better job on improving their conventional hybrid technology; and I think, for the most part they are. Now, they just need to figure out how to keep their hybrids owners as loyal as Toyota has managed to do."

One implication of this is that few people bought hybrids simply to reduce their carbon footprint or because you can really get into achieving excellent mileage just as an interesting thing to do.